VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, after a 14 month search I eventually got my T5, it is 2014 highlife spec combi with dsg gearbox. Had it about 2000 miles now and it is great. The only issue I have found is that the selector lever is tight when moving from park to drive, more so when it is cold. Does anyone know if there is adjustment for this or is it an issue. I could not find any threads mentioning it. When it has been driven for a while the selector moves smoothly. It only has 21000 miles on it. Anyone got thought on how smooth these are normally.
Thanks for any feedback.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
The only one time mine was stiff to get out of park was when I'd taken the handbrake off on a slope to swivel the drivers seat round & the locking mechanism had engaged, otherwise it's smooth as silk.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Our's is smooth and I've not come across this before but as yours is still under warranty ask your dealer to take a look.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies here. I was planning to ask dealer to take a look just making sure it is not a feature of the selector mechanism beforehand. The gearbox itself changes up and down and you barely realise it unless you are watching the rev counter needle. I just feel I am exerting more effort than I would like to select drive and don't want to be damaging something.
Alick

·
Special Rapporteur
9,779 Posts
On the flat, or on a slope? If there is significant resistance on flat ground, I would say there is something wrong.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably embarrassing to admit but I think this has been pilot error. ? After having a think about my driving and parking style I think I may have been putting the selector into park and loading the transmission before applying the handbrake which makes selecting stiff. Since I realised this and changed to handbrake on as well as selector into park before letting foot brake off. Changed process and it is smooth to select. Thanks for feedback hopefully I am now sorted.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Probably embarrassing to admit but I think this has been pilot error. ? After having a think about my driving and parking style I think I may have been putting the selector into park and loading the transmission before applying the handbrake which makes selecting stiff. Since I realised this and changed to handbrake on as well as selector into park before letting foot brake off. Changed process and it is smooth to select. Thanks for feedback hopefully I am now sorted.
I only ever use the hand / parking brake on the ferry or when on a jack without any problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers, better keep an eye on it. I will speak to a friend who has dsg also to see how his is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts