VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on this would be great fully appreciated, clutch is getting very juddery particularly in reverse or hill starts. I have a 56 plate, 1.9 T5 with 63000 miles on the clock. Would appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The purpose of the DMF is to absorb harmonic distortion between the engine and gear box; it is essential to not destroying your gearbox.

This vid (towards the end) shows what it does;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnaXB8q3uzQ

Basically - modern gearboxes are smaller/lighter/cheaper as a result of not having to manage the undamped vibration coming from the engine. An SMF will almost certainly lead to much bigger bills when the gearbox dies

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Basically - modern gearboxes are smaller/lighter/cheaper as a result of not having to manage the undamped vibration coming from the engine.
Hmm, not sure I agree with all that really. In 2000 the T4 engine never had VNT/variable oil pump/variable coolant pump/ secondary micro cooling circuit/DPF/SCR/twin cams/ 4 valve per cylinder and they'd barely got into direct injection.

The main reason for a DMF and harmonic balancers is the fact that these smaller engine have absolutely huge firing pressures to enable them to make nearly 180Nm/L compared to 115Nm/L...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have one in my 1.9 t30 and had it for last 30k miles. Only downside for it is the extra rattling sound when in neutral. Apart from that I didn’t broke my gearbox or something related to it up until now.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
I have one in my 1.9 t30 and had it for last 30k miles. Only downside for it is the extra rattling sound when in neutral. Apart from that I didn’t broke my gearbox or something related to it up until now.
My mate has a solid flywheel in his 1.9 Sharan and it's been fine, I wouldn't put a solid flywheel in my tuned T5 2.5 though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.