VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked my account and im due upgrade. Heard rumours about an iPhone 5 popping up soonish but don't want to wait and be disappointed by it. Galaxy S3 looks pretty future proof. Old man has S2 that is great but this is ment to be streets ahead. Anyone got one who can advise? iPhone 4s is a no no. Same as the 4 I have now and no I don't want to speak to it:D

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Iphone 5 should be September the 21st, going by the last few years of Apple conference and release.

It will not be the biggest or flashiest. It will be the most hyped, but more importantly, the best. In other words - it will work.

No bias in the least! How many days to go?!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember the hype around what was ment to be the 5 but turned out to be a 4s. Fairly poor upgrade really and don't see what else can be done to make it any better other than change screen. S2 and 3 seem to have much higher quality visual displays.

I take you be sleeping out the shop door then for the 5 LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I'm a Maplin Store manager, and as a result have tech opinion thrust upon me daily. I'm into cars/bikes/etc, not tech. So I'm able to stand back and both listen and watch tech argument against tech argument.

Latest phone against the previous and the yet to be released.....and so on.....from staff. Some very educated and knowledgeable.

What sits above all of this blinkered opinion, is that the iphone at points in its life cycle has competition with better statistics on paper, but always, the use compounds it all, and the Iphone simply works.

I have to 'wait a minute' when a non iphone demo of its superiority stumbles. Larger processors don't provide quicker operation, and the feel is less substantial.

From alarm clock to gps, ipod, email, web browser, back to alarm clock at the end of the day, my phone is flawless 24 hours a day.

The iphone for me is the golf/transporter. It costs a little more, lacks some puddle lights of the Peugeot, or park assist of the Ford, but its ethos and method are far superior.

OK, stop now, my wife will get suspisious. I already spend more time with my ophone than with her!

(OK Ju, Just coming love!)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have an iPhone4 that's due an upgrade so I have looked around. What I was impressed with when I got the iPhone was how simple it is to use and set up. It just works. I now also have an iPad and am a complete Apple convert.
I have looked at the Galaxy 3 as some people say they are better but I discounted it. The "better" features seem only to make sense to techies and, more importantly, its HUGE. Wouldn't consider it on size alone.
That leaves me with the wait for IPhone5 or change now decision. The decision is made for me by the fact that the new iPhone is bigger and has a different format docking port so my car kit and other peripherals won't fit it. So I'll get a 4S. Might wait a while though because when the 5 comes out there will be better deals on the 4s.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
If you are happy with the iphone, then it will take some convincing to change to a different manufacturer. All I can say is go to a local store & try one for half an hour (at least). If you can use it & like it, then I would say wait until the 5 comes out & compare that with the S3. Whatever you end up with, you will have for a long time, so being happy with it is very important.

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
I was an iPhone person until my last upgrade, I listened to all the techies and went for a htc sensation, the "best" phone at the time.

And whilst it is/was a great phone it didn't do anything more than the iPhone and it didn't do it as easily. Coupled with the fact it was shockingly unreliable. So after 6 repairs and a replacement I managed to convince O2 to give me an iPhone instead:D

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for replys. I would have been looking at them now but mrs is still straightening hair:( I'm going to look at the S3 and see what I think. I do know what you mean about the ease of setting up and using the iPhone. I had heard that the ports are going to change on the iPhone 5 so that is another reason for testing whats out there as the current gizmos will be useless anyway.
I will keep you informed with happens.
Please feel free to keep posting though as someone who has experience between apple and Samsung S2-S3 may sway me. Cheers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd wait to see what the iPhone 5 is like, I still have the 3gs and although not as good as the 4s, I didn't feel the 4/4s was a big enough jump, although the 3gs is looking a bit slow now and there are some Apps I want that now. Iphone is just easy to use as is the App store etc.

Easy to use is good for me.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for replys. Just been had a look and got mixed views on it.

Looks a stunning phone. Screen and pic quality are faultless and got some real nice features.
However! It only comes in blue or white, it's rather large and not easy to use like the iPhones. I'm going to hang it out for a while. The fellas in shops said they have no idea where people are getting this iPhone 5 from as there has been no mention what so ever of it on there side and not expecting anything before Xmas to be released.

So for the mean time I'm sticking with the 4 and will wait see what happensT:

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Cheers for replys. Just been had a look and got mixed views on it.

Looks a stunning phone. Screen and pic quality are faultless and got some real nice features.
However! It only comes in blue or white, it's rather large and not easy to use like the iPhones. I'm going to hang it out for a while. The fellas in shops said they have no idea where people are getting this iPhone 5 from as there has been no mention what so ever of it on there side and not expecting anything before Xmas to be released.

So for the mean time I'm sticking with the 4 and will wait see what happensT:
The rummers for the Iphone5 are:

-every time Apple do a conference which they are, they launch a new product the following week
-Friday is good as there is more next day press coverage, as they have done in the past
-the phone release is due according to history
-Mini ipad rummers coincide with the phone release date
-major co's have told employees there is a holiday ban over this period
-Overtime is some producers that have produced apple components in the past are ramping production

So it all may be true, or a load of twaddle! But sept 21st is my bet. ... ... ... I hope! (Am I this sad?)

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Just to add, I currently use an old HTC desire (which I need to change, but cannot affordf to ATM) which works fine & did more than the equivalent iphone. I have used & set up iphone 4 at work for directors & I didn't like the way it was too simple. They are also too locked down, compared to android based phones. (lack of flash springs to mind).
I was looking at an HTC one X until recently. They do look good.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm waiting for the iPhone 5, just so I can upgrade from my 3GS to a 4s and hopefully it will be cheaper Tariffs than they are currently. Not worried about the new iPhone. Was using my current phone for Internet n stuff at home instead of my clunky 12 year old pc but went and got the new iPad which I love, so would be nice to have a phone which can interact with it but iPhone 5 will just be to expensive, so 4s it is! T::D

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
The fellas in shops said they have no idea where people are getting this iPhone 5 from as there has been no mention what so ever of it on there side and not expecting anything before Xmas to be released.
Wouldnt take too much from that, they'd sooner sell you something they have than now rather than have you walk away to maybe come back.

I recently did the rounds looking for my first smart phone (a S2) and the sales people were pretty full on (like the dbl glazing of old).
Ended up that instead of paying £25-30 / month for an S2 I opted for a galaxy ace at £7.50.
Conclusion, camera is cumbersome and results are not as good as hoped, phone is easy to use, fast and reliable. Am i happy with it? at £7.50 yes, would I be happy paying £30+ for a phone even if its 4 times as good - nah

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have an S3 and it is a stunningly good phone. Not sure where all these comments about "Iphone just works" come from, most phones "just work". If they don't then you take them back and demand one that does.

I have a colleague who is a complete apple fanboy (Macbook air, apple TC, iphone etc etc). He slagged off my S3 when I first got it, but he played around with it a bit. 4 weeks later he doesn't have an iphone any more, just an S3.

Both are good, but the iphone is no way as good for browsing, watching movies etc as the screen is so tiny. When I forst got the S3 I thought it was enormous but now, I don't really notice, it just fits in the hand. As for the colour, I always put a cover on my phones so never see the colour anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
One of the other things to take into consideration when considering what to buy, is your set up.

I have inadvertently, and I have to say ashamedly have just worked out that it is only my garage that I don't have an ipod doc for music playback.

So, I am somewhat locked into the lineage now. An S3 or the like, doesn't fit into my household/car stereo input without a huge upheaval and expense.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I have the s2 and its a cracking phone. Not locked down like the apples and still.lets me interact with other androide products. apple have the edge with the itunes but your locked into what they will let you watch and hear witch is what puts me off apple.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts