VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Does anyone know if reclassifying your van from a panel van to a motorcaravan is a legal requirement by the DVLA or just something you do to get cheaper insurance. In my case I am insured as a commercial vehicle so do i need to bother? I wouldn't benefit from the cheaper insurance but would then be restricted by the conversion rules!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes I did see that and I it seems problematic to get them to accept some conversions, I just wondered if it was a legal requirement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will check with, shall we say a useful contact:) But i dont believe there is a legal requirement to advise DVLA of the change, the benefits to you may be greater ie taxation class from commercial to motorcaravan.. as long as your insurance company is happy with the changes.. The main benefit to us DIY campers, me included as i am converting a 57plate T5 T28 130 standard as you like panal van to a camper, is changing the classification from commercial to motorcaravan due to the restrictions the government put on commercial vehicles of under 7.5tonnes. To the letter of the law, mainly speed restrictions. A panal van is restricted to 60mph on a dual carriagaway/motorway whareas aq motorcaravan is 70mph.. and as these van are capable of a bit more you dont want to be crusing passed a plain police car at 80 when you should only be doing 60, that would be a bad day.. I will check tho

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reply. The speed issue is a good enough reason in itself I guess as you rightly said. My new T5 does seem to shift without me realising how fast I am going! I would not benefit as far as the Insurance goes. I was upfront about business use on my camper as I do some events (craft shows and festivals) so I have ended up with a commercial insurance policy with Adrian Flux as no one else would even quote!! I guess it just irritated me about having to comply with the DVLA conversion rules, i.e two burner hob and nothing removable. I've got a full width bed, even in a lwb there isn't much room!! I guess I will have to comply but it would still be good to know if I legally have to have. Thanks!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are probably right but 80 seems the natural speed, high top and kids slow me a bit but it's easy to get caught out.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
If you get a T5 van say for 10K, you then spend say 10K converting it and the heavens above you have a prang. Your V5 says it's a T5 van, the insurance company will aim to settle on the book price of a van.
It's worth the hassle of a) listing all mods with the insurer and b) hassling the Swansea lot for some paperwork that accurately reflects your pride and joy...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Let me throw in an unusual one, i need to re clasify mine to a motorcaravan from......................disability vehicle:ILU: so how does that work ? at the mo its tax exempt but i dont think i can get away with that one when the renewal comes, it was converted by mobility from new.
Oh and the other thing is im insuring it as a camper .................I confuse my self sometimes :):confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts