VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

We are looking for some advice regarding DVLA reclassification as motor caravan after having our VW T5 (ex-RAC panel van) professionally converted in May 2019.

We have supplied all the necessary photos as per the DVLA website, and today (4 weeks after application) have received a letter to say they are refusing reclassification as motor caravan as ”the vehicle cannot be externally identified as a motor caravan”.

We have had 3 windows (two side and one tailgate) fitted, as well as a full internal conversion (sink, gas hob, table, rock n roll bed), which they have acknowledged meets the internal requirements.

We’ve called, and been advised to email to appeal the decision, and await an inevitably slow reply.

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with reclassification recently? Have they been resolved?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are they sliding windows or fixed...from what you say that's the only thing that seems possible to get a refusal...I had no probs with mine back in January

·
Registered
244 Posts
It all changed in May sometime. Since then they "demand" that on top of all the other stuff people have done for years, the exterior of the van needs to be easily identified as a campervan, as opposed to a van with windows in it. Things they seem to be looking for are fixed awnings, poptops and graphics. Take a look at a "professional" camper and compare it to yours and see what you could do to make it look more camper like. Understated, or stealth campers are no-longer getting reclassified it seems

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know someone with a transit minibus conversion that looks exactly like a factory motorhome and they had the exact same issue in late May. Resubmission appeal was refused on the same grounds. The DVLA refuse to offer a criteria of 'what visually looks like a motorhome' and have now lost his documents in the post back. I wonder if there is perhaps some new EU regs brewing or if a quota has been filled?? I'm halfway through converting mine too so good luck with your appeal.

·
2012 180 Sportline SWB Camper
1,144 Posts
Hi

We are looking for some advice regarding DVLA reclassification as motor caravan after having our VW T5 (ex-RAC panel van) professionally converted in May 2019.

We have supplied all the necessary photos as per the DVLA website, and today (4 weeks after application) have received a letter to say they are refusing reclassification as motor caravan as ”the vehicle cannot be externally identified as a motor caravan”.

We have had 3 windows (two side and one tailgate) fitted, as well as a full internal conversion (sink, gas hob, table, rock n roll bed), which they have acknowledged meets the internal requirements.

We’ve called, and been advised to email to appeal the decision, and await an inevitably slow reply.

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with reclassification recently? Have they been resolved?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like the DVLA have changed the criteria again resulting in more refusals. When I reclassified mine a few years ago and mine definitely did not look like a camper from the outside, which is the way I wanted it to be for reasons of stealth, I included a photograph with the awning erected, table and chairs out. etc. Perhaps you could do that and if you have one raise the pop top too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts