VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys does anyone know whats the script is with all these T5 campers with £5k etc prices on 2012 vans etc obviously they dodgy but how do they work a scam like that, surely no one daft enough send them any money till they check and get van?????, i reported seven already this week and autotrader no better.

·
Registered
926 Posts
maybe we could all bombard ebay/scumtree/autotrader with complaints about dodgy ads as they come up T:T:T:T:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Basically how it works is like this. You email them & say you're interested in the van.
They tell you that the van is not in the country at the moment but it is registered in the UK.
You will then be asked to pay the money into a PayPal account. They will put the link to the site in their email.
PayPal will hold the money until the van has been delivered to you. Once you have the van & are happy with it the money will be released to the seller.
Scam is, that the link takes you to a site that looks legit. It's not a real PayPal account, so no van & no money.
I would be amazed if anyone falls for it, but you never know.:eek:
The reason I know is that I contacted one of these scam sellers & strung him/her along just to find out how they worked it. Then I reported it to Autotrader.
I reported loads of scams, but nothing changes, they take them down but that's it.
Got fed up doing there job for them in the end.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
surely no one daft enough send them any money till they check and get van?????
If they get just one fool to fall for it, they are quids in for doing nothing...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sadly I'm sure a lot of people do fall for it. It would be easy to say that they should be more careful but some people just aren't that internet savvy or naturally suspicious and end up getting ripped off. People also get blinded by the apparent bargain prices and this clouds their judgement. What really makes me livid is the complicity of the ad and auction sites in not dealing with obvious scams sooner. Scamtree and so on are absolutely rife with these fake ads. It also riles me that in this day and age it is possible to carry out a fraudulent financial transaction with impunity, surely it is not too much to require ALL transactions to be fully reversible in the case of fraud. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
They do this here in Canada as well. I actually know someone who fell for it mind you he is a young guy but he should have known better. He learned his lesson the hard way losing $35,000 :eek:

Same as described above, paypal link that looks legit. Once paid everything dis appears and money is untraceable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Shaunr, money is not refundable as there is no record of payment to be found. Only proof any transaction happened is the money leaving your account and any info the buyer may have saved regarding sale ads email etc. For some reason the money shows leaving the buyers account but because of the fake link it cant be tracked to where the money ends up.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Shaunr, money is not refundable as there is no record of payment to be found. Only proof any transaction happened is the money leaving your account and any info the buyer may have saved regarding sale ads email etc. For some reason the money shows leaving the buyers account but because of the fake link it cant be tracked to where the money ends up.
Thanks, I appreciate that but surely it isn't too much to ask for the banking system to be properly accountable and traceable?

So the victim has been tricked into giving access to their Paypal account and money has subsequently been transferred from victim's bank account to perpetrator's, probably by means of a circuitous route through a load of other hacked accounts to make it difficult to trace, but ultimately it will have been processed through the banking system. Surely it is logical that it should be possible to follow the money trail. :*

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate that but surely it isn't too much to ask for the banking system to be properly accountable and traceable?

So the victim has been tricked into giving access to their Paypal account and money has subsequently been transferred from victim's bank account to perpetrator's, probably by means of a circuitous route through a load of other hacked accounts to make it difficult to trace, but ultimately it will have been processed through the banking system. Surely it is logical that it should be possible to follow the money trail. :*

Hear what you're saying bro but could also debate why the banking system should be accountable for a buyers stupidity and false/fake links. Why should they?

We have all seen lots of these vans. I do feel sympathy for the 'buyer' but very very little.

Who sells a pukka 10 plate T5 for £5k? If its too good to be true.......

Even if you are that dull to believe its a proper sale the ads always state the deal is protected by paypal protection services etc etc. THEY ARE NOT, read the rules. Surely its a basic.

Greed and stupidity.T:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
ALL transactions to be fully reversible in the case of fraud. :(
There's another way of looking at this - an honest trader could get scammed - he/she sends expensive goods & even gets a signature on delivery - scammers say they have not recieved goods - not their signature (couriers do not ask for ID, so the scammers sign E.Milliband or something) transaction reversed & trader looses.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I'm sure the advertising sites could do more.
When I spoke to them, they said we take it very seriously, blah, blah, blah. But then do very little to stop it.

On another recent thread someone had posted up one of these scams & would you believe it, it was the same one I had strung along about 11/2 years ago & they were still using the same email address & van pictures but on a different site. Now, how is that possible when I had reported them. That shows how seriously they take it. :confused:

·
Registered
867 Posts
There are many people who fall for this!
One owner of a van had three police forces contacting them, £16,000 each!
Money is international unfortunately USA won't release info about their citizens, email addresses etc!
Other countries shrug their shoulders and won't release any info on account holders!
I have seen colour passport photos (taken from holiday makers) making a sale genuine! It is not! Please view the blooming thing before spending your money!
One person paying for a car in his local bank was told by the cashier this is a scam, he phoned the seller up and still paid!
Amazingly the teller could have been fired for offering that advice.
No one cares, whilst governments tinker with fluff and nonsense scammers across the world take fools gold!

·
Registered
518 Posts
couple of years ago I had police knocking on my door regarding a splitty I owned 2 years previous

someone had advertised the van and it was a scam and took someone for a lot of money :eek: never did get to find out what happened as the police was only interested in who I had sold the van to and couldn't give me much info as I didn't own the van anymore

·
Registered
217 Posts

But is it the fault of the banking system. Someone dupes you into paying money into a legitimate account linked to a dodgy website. How is the bank to know that the money coming into their bank has been got fraudulently. They cannot do an investigation into all money transactions.

The strange thin however is that when I transferred my ISA from one high street bank to another I was asked questions "to see if thr money was not being laundered". They trust all their clients unless the money comes directly from another bank!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts