VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, has anyone ever fitted a sensor like this one on their T4: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152444636031?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I bought it thinking it would just fit instead of the oil tank drain bolt, but it's too small. Any tips on where I could fit it to get accurate oil temperature readings? I've got a digital LED receiver unit which will display the temperature afterwards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

·
Registered
601 Posts
could you not get a local engineering firm to make you a bush that will take the sensor and fit into the sump.

Can you not find a sensor that will fit in the sump plug hole?

bush/adaptor here:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=812&g=244347&p=18197&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Fittings & Accessories&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrYbIBRCgnY-OluOk89EBEiQAZER58gTYPw4O7H9tzgwvg8VJ2EOrIX6LqcNOQfYYR5Nu4yIaAvMi8P8HAQ

according to vwheritage it's m14 check the thread pitch though first.

i have an oil temp sensor fitted inline with my additional gearbox cooler, works a treat

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
would be interested in any details on this guys if you manage to get oil temp sender fitted and working, I contemplated doing a simiar thing with a NPT bush/ adapter to fit in place of the the sump plug. but thought might be a bit of a pain when it comes to oil changes, but I guess a connector on the sender to allow quick disconnect would sort that.
rastibreza - have you any details / link on the digital LED receiver unit you mention pls ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all sorry for the late reply,

ktuludays: Thanks for the link, seems like that could work, I measured my sensor's diameter it's 10mm, but not sure about the "Male Thread" size... Is this the size of the actual bolt that screws into the oil tank - if so what is the size? I don't want to unscrew it from my T4 and drain all the oil only to measure it...

Kleftiwallah: Have you got any pics of your adapter and sensor please?

campernologist: Here is the LED temp receiver unit.. I've got two of those, my intention was to use one for outdoor temperarature and the other one for oil temp using the temp sender I mentioned in my post before... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-DC12V-Digital-Thermometer-With-Temp-Probe-Temperature-LED-Detector-BY/142201412672?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=43771&meid=515b571a09244e4b935131c010338a1c&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=192039309873

I've found this sender on ebay, but not sure how it would work as it only has one output instead of two like the previous one? Would save me buying the adapter ktuladays is suggesting if it would work? Any tips and info welcome!! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
many thanks for the link, the question I had on looking at the previous sender link is one of calibration i.e. how do you know / make sure the sender is compatible with the display unit ? obviously, it's easy enough to check if the gauge works by dunking the sender in some boiling water, for example, but, unless there is the facility to adjust the display, this would simply be a go/ no-go test. normally one would buy the gauge and sender together as a matched pair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
many thanks for the link, the question I had on looking at the previous sender link is one of calibration i.e. how do you know / make sure the sender is compatible with the display unit ? obviously, it's easy enough to check if the gauge works by dunking the sender in some boiling water, for example, but, unless there is the facility to adjust the display, this would simply be a go/ no-go test. normally one would buy the gauge and sender together as a matched pair.
Well it's because I had the displays already I wanted to reuse them insted of buying another gauge, plus I can't fit the classic analogue circle-shaped gauge anywhere on my dash as there's no room anymore.

I had no idea you actually have to calibrate the senders with the receivers, thought it would be just a simple matter of rewiring the cables? There is dual link cable going to the sender from the receiver unit, the oil temp sender also has a dual link cable output so I thought it would just as simple as swapping the senders. Both the senders look pretty much exactly the same, except the oil one has a thread on it. Think I will still give it a go see if it works, if I figure out how to fit the sender into the oil tank...

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
how does SG help with this Gaz ? pls enlighten as Ive got one and would like to know if I'm missing anything in terms of measurables !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi everyone, so I tried getting the a sump plug adaptor, but I can't find any that is M26....

Basically the sender is 1/8 NPT and VW T4 sump thread is M26.. The biggest adaptor I could find is M22: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/gauge-pipes-adaptors/lma-oil-temperature-sump-plug-adaptor

Literally ran out of ideas where to fit the sender now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.: I don't really have the ability to drill a 1/8 NPT thread into the current blank sump plug...

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
when i looked into doing this I was going to do it by drilling and tapping a spare sump plug to see if it was possible. (NPT taps are available). I havent tried it, so dont know how straightforward this would be, but I would have thought it should be a straightforward job for someone with a decent workshop and the right tools.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts