VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, could I ask, would anyone be able to explain these fault codes please? This is whats being displayed in the controller window but im not sure what it all actually means in laymans terms!......

F1
F0
and then repeats the cycle.

Im wondering if it is related to the leisure battery. I drove from Cambridge to Exeter on Thursday yet when I got there the leisure battery was seemingly flat!! None of the interior gadgets worked, fridge, lighting, water pump etc. They were all switched off for the journey. When I started the engine though, to see if would supply power, everything then worked fine!
This was on Thursday. As I drove from Cambridge to Devon and then back in a day, the leisure battery should be fully charged, but this morning all was dead again despite being back on hook up for most of yesterday, Friday.

Could these things be related in anyway? Could I have inadvertently drained the leisure battery in some way? Even if it was totally dead, surely a four and a half hour drive to Devon would have put some juice back into it? A Cambridge to Exeter and back to Cambridge trip in one day definitely would have done.

Any thoughts or ideas on the codes and / or the battery power issue would be most welcome. Forgot to add, the van is a 2015 T5.1 T30, Hillside Leisure Birchover Classic, the battery is the same one first fitted from new in August 2015.

Many thanks,

Rick

·
Special Rapporteur
9,154 Posts
I guess by now you will have done like I just did and put "Ebersbacher 801 diagnostic codes" into Google, and found that code 52 means "Safety time exceeded - Check fuel supply", which means that it won't light because it's not picking up enough fuel?

I think this can happen if you run the van's fuel tank very low.

I don't know how Hillside wire their leisure batteries, but the likely sequence of events is that you accidentally flattened the leisure battery at some point in the past, then when you started the engine the split charge relay connected the full engine battery to the flat leisure battery, a large current tried to flow between the two and the split charge fuse blew. So I would seek out the split charge fuse(s) and check them to see if they are intact.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Trific for taking the time to reply. Have never let the fuel run really low and have only fired up the night heater a couple of times to test it.
Up until a couple of weeks ago the leisure battery was fine. Thinking about it, i was showing a friend of mine around the van and its systems and i may have left the night heater switched on accidently. It wouldnt have been running though as its been to warm to fire up but it would still have been switched on!
The leisure battery was in the green yesterday but totally dead again this morning. I will contact Hillside tomorrow to find out where these split charge fuses are and see what i can do. Im reluctant to buy a new leisure battery until i know that something isnt "live" somewhere and continually drawing power from it.
Thanks once again Trific, and if there are any other Hillside owners reading this who know how to find the split charge fuse(s) are located i would be grateful.
Rick

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had a look under the bonnet. Would i be right in thinking that these three fuses pictured, a 5, a 15, and a 25 would be the split charge fuses? I have pulled all three of them and they all look fine.
If I connect to the main supply using the hook up lead it charges the leisure battery but the battery will die in a matter of hours after disconnecting, and thats with out using any of the facilities powered by the leisure battery!

Attachments

·
Special Rapporteur
9,154 Posts
I don't know anything about how Hillside wire up their vans as I've never owned one, but our van has three fuses in a similar position and they are for the fridge 12V element, the split charge and the connection to run the habitation loads from the engine battery (typically for emergency use only).

If the split charge wiring has been done correctly there should be another fuse - at the other end of the split charge circuit - adjacent to the leisure battery.

On the face of it, it sounds like your leisure battery is completely shagged, unless you have a solar panel which is confusing the issue (in daylight it can make it look as though you are getting power from the battery when you are actually getting power from the panel).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Triffic, I think youre right, the battery is completely shagged. I have now plugged the van into the mains using the hook up lead and will leave it for a couple of days, then unplug it and see how long the battery stands up. If it is totally knackered then it will lose all its charge again very quickly.
I dont have a solar panel. Theres nothing "on" inside the van, fridge off, lighting off etc so i cant fathom from where, if any, something could be drawing power from.

A quick question which you may be able to answer, can you charge a leisure battery using a conventional, mains powered, car battery charger? The type with the crocodile clips to clip on to the terminals?

Cheers for the advice.
Rick

·
Special Rapporteur
9,154 Posts
Generally, yes, but it does depend on the type of battery and the type of charger. If it's just an ordinary lead/acid leisure battery, pretty much any car battery charger will do. If it's marked as a sealed or an AGM battery you may have to be a bit more careful. If it's marked as a Lithium Ion battery then you definitely can't use a standard battery charger.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Triffic, i think it just a usual lead / acid type. I will double check first though.
Thanks for all your input and help, its much appreciated.
Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts