VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been on the Propex side of the great heater debate, but recently I was given an Eberspacher D2 at a very good price so went over to the dark side and installed it.

My main gripes with Eberspachers are that they're LOADS noisier than a Propex and they're HIDEOUSLY expensive to fix. Well there's no changing the potential repair costs but I've just installed an air intake silencer and I'm amazed at the difference in external noise level. I took the exhaust silencer off the eber water heater (mines a caravelle) and used that for the D2 exhaust, and bought a cheap and cheerful intake silencer off ebay (£15 posted from the Turkish eber parts guy) and I'm really impressed. Not much louder than a propex now. Well worth the minimal outlay. Its this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-FILTE...s=63&clkid=5100152690292571688#ht_2707wt_1114

...but you can buy one of same guy for £15 posted without the pipe and clips.

No connection to seller, just impressed with that rare thing - a cheap part for an eberspacher heater!

·
Registered
326 Posts
i just got mine through yesterday (just the silencer) will be fitting in the next week. I wondered what type of construction it used and it turned out to be a tube with foam walls giving a restricted opening through it. Looks like it should work. I will try fitting it nearest the heater and then the other end to see what is best. The intake definately needs a silencer as it does roar. I am expecting it to work fairly well as if you cover the inlet quite a bit with your fingers, it gets much queiter.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, does look a bit naff when it arrives, but it works a treat. I sealed the top lip where water might get in with gaffa tape as that foam will collect water pretty quickly and I didn't want damp air going in the heater. I don't think its a genuine eberspacher part - its not got their logo or part number on it, but its a damn good addition IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've always been on the Propex side of the great heater debate, but recently I was given an Eberspacher D2 at a very good price so went over to the dark side and installed it.

My main gripes with Eberspachers are that they're LOADS noisier than a Propex and they're HIDEOUSLY expensive to fix. Well there's no changing the potential repair costs but I've just installed an air intake silencer and I'm amazed at the difference in external noise level. I took the exhaust silencer off the eber water heater (mines a caravelle) and used that for the D2 exhaust, and bought a cheap and cheerful intake silencer off ebay (£15 posted from the Turkish eber parts guy) and I'm really impressed. Not much louder than a propex now. Well worth the minimal outlay. Its this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-FILTE...s=63&clkid=5100152690292571688#ht_2707wt_1114

No connection to seller, just impressed with that rare thing - a cheap part for an eberspacher heater!

Hi. Like you I have a t5 caravelle. Did you go down te stand pipe route or did you T into the fuel pipe for the Webasto engine pre-heater? I know you can't T into the main fuel pipe for the engine, as the rank is pressurized but the Webasto isn't.
Thanks for your time.
Mac

·
Registered
805 Posts

wondered if these made a big difference noise wise, cheers, although a read a bad right up some where about the ones from turkey

http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/Buying_Advice_2.html

·
Registered
723 Posts

Do you fit it at the end of the intake? Where it sucks the air in or part way down intake pipe?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Yeah... can anyone comment on where this silencer fits?

I have one on the exhaust, so I am guessing it is on the intake?

Also, anyone managed to get the pump to stop "clicking" as loud as it does?

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Yeah... can anyone comment on where this silencer fits?

I have one on the exhaust, so I am guessing it is on the intake?

Also, anyone managed to get the pump to stop "clicking" as loud as it does?
make sure the pump is mounted on an angle with the outlet upwards this makes sure the pump chamber is purged of air, the pump tick dulls considerably once all the air is out. Also mount it on rubber p clip with a m5 bobbin mount really helps

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
the black silence thing goes on the other inlet beside the exhaust one if you get what i mean T:T: & i used a inner tube wrapped around the fuel pump then i mounted it T:T: it seems to quiet it down a bit hope this helps T:T:

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
the silencers need to be mounted pointing backwards the same as a if it were a straight inlet pipe or it makes some weird noises if used when driving, ive never felt the need for inlet silencers, an exhaust silencer is a must tho. once a heater is turned on and ramps down to mid or low settings i think the noise levels with an exhaust silencer are more than acceptable. if the heater is left on a low setting overnight and it drops down from low output to standby (the fan runs slow but no flame) when the temp drops enough for it to come on again it will restart in low output. its the first initial start where the heater has to run up to boost and then drop down.
so overnight there is a good chance the heater will toggle between standby/low or possibly medium at most

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed a Webasto recently on a T4 (EuroVan here in the US) and wondered about an intake silencer. The manual says the total run of pipe including the intake and exhaust can't exceed 5m without an exhaust silencer, but it drops to 2m max with an exhaust silencer fitted. My system is pretty close to the 2m max and I was afraid that adding the additional restriction of an intake silencer would be too much. Does anybody know what the maximum total system length is with both an intake and exhaust silencer? (It's probably moot anyway -- not sure where I'd mount the intake silencer on my setup…)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi. I have a caravelle. Can you t into the fuel line which runs to the Webasto engine pre-heater for the eberspacher? I know you can't use the fuel line from the tank as the tank is pressurised but it would save a lot of time and effort if I don't have to drop the tank and fit a stand pipe.
Anyone have any experience of doing this?
Mac

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Hi. I have a caravelle. Can you t into the fuel line which runs to the Webasto engine pre-heater for the eberspacher? I know you can't use the fuel line from the tank as the tank is pressurised but it would save a lot of time and effort if I don't have to drop the tank and fit a stand pipe.
Anyone have any experience of doing this?
Mac
Yes you can its the lower of the 3 fuel pipes that run in the clips along the tank, vwbooks has some good pics

1 - 17 of 17 Posts