VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the spare connector in the picture below is for? It comes from the heater and seems to be additional to the wiring going to the 801 Controller connector Is it something to do with enabling temperature control from my 801 controller as the heater does not seem to pay any heed to the temp set on the controller?
Cheers

https://flic.kr/p/28fSjAU

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes, it is for an external temperature sensor. I believe you can connect it to the 801 controller to use it's sensor or add a dedicated sensor. I've yet to get around to figuring out how to get it to use the 801 though... one of the jobs on my todo list for winter !

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is for an external temperature sensor. I believe you can connect it to the 801 controller to use it's sensor or add a dedicated sensor. I've yet to get around to figuring out how to get it to use the 801 though... one of the jobs on my todo list for winter !
Thanks chum. I've been digging around online (including on this forum)and have seen some advice for cutting/joining/splicing certain wires together to enable the 801 control over the heater. I cannot understand the logic of including a wire from the 801 to the plug but not a corresponding wire from the plug to the heater brain.....surely the whole point of the 801 is to utilize the built in temperature sensor without having to resort to cutting and joining wires? :confused::confused:

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,099 Posts
Most Eberspacher controllers don't have temp sensors in, hence the seperate plug.
To either use an external sensor which will just plug in, or to adapt the wiring to use the 801 sensor (this is what I did with my 801), have a read of this page -
https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/eberspacher_sensor.html
Follow that and you won't go wrong T:

·
Registered
240 Posts
For completeness, the sensor Eberspacher use is a KTY81/210 available for around £0.80 from Farnells if, like me, you have your 801 in a cupboard where it may not register cabin temperature too well.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For completeness, the sensor Eberspacher use is a KTY81/210 available for around £0.80 from Farnells if, like me, you have your 801 in a cupboard where it may not register cabin temperature too well.
An 80p component and they put it in a plastic unit with wires and charge £50+ for it??:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for the replies guys T:T:

So am not sure now if my heater is using the sensor in the 801 or not. On reading the pages Hoovie linked in his post, Eberspacher heaters temperature reading is quite vague and there can be a 4 or 5 degree difference in where it will regulate the temperature to with regard to the set temp on the 801....So I tried my heater today and set the temp on the 801 to 20deg and the heater started full blast til the temp went to 22 then started winding down but did not shut off completely as I thought it might, or should, it continued blowing hot air but at a much gentler rate. The indicated temp on the 801 showed as 23 and stayed there. I think I may have had the 801 set for too high a temperature before (I think it was set to 25deg) and maybe this is why it was staying on at 28-29deg?

Is there a way to confirm if my 801's sensor is wired to the loom? there is an 8 pin plug that connects it to the heater loom and all wires that go into the plug seem to have a corresponding one at the heater connection?
I would just like to know for sure if its wired in or not before I start cutting and joining wires? :confused::confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts