VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!!
I have just discovered that my 2001 2.5 Caravelle has an Eberspacher heater buried in the guts of the engine bay - can anyone advise what this does exactly? I thought that Eberspacher' were powered by diesel to provide heating, but I can't understand how it's used in my vehicle?! I wish I'd asked a few more questions at the garage when the owner pointed it out to me, but I was in a bit of a rush.... any info about this gratefully received!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi All!!
I have just discovered that my 2001 2.5 Caravelle has an Eberspacher heater buried in the guts of the engine bay - can anyone advise what this does exactly? I thought that Eberspacher' were powered by diesel to provide heating, but I can't understand how it's used in my vehicle?! I wish I'd asked a few more questions at the garage when the owner pointed it out to me, but I was in a bit of a rush.... any info about this gratefully received!

Engine coolant pre-heater if it's working T:T:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ha!! Thanks! I have seen a video on youtube (link below) where a remote control has been connected to this heater - anyone know if this can be done to T4..? Anyone know anyone that could do this for me? It would be very useful to have this feature, it would save me buying and installing a new diesel heater for my campervan?!

https://youtu.be/ui8hZlD8IC8

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Ah ha!! Thanks! I have seen a video on youtube (link below) where a remote control has been connected to this heater - anyone know if this can be done to T4..? Anyone know anyone that could do this for me? It would be very useful to have this feature, it would save me buying and installing a new diesel heater for my campervan?!

https://youtu.be/ui8hZlD8IC8
Have you tested it to make sure it is working? That will be the first step.

The kit to adapt it for use as an interior heater is available, but payment is taken in body parts I:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meine Gott! Yes, that's expensive....!!! Interesting though. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it :) Although that is an expensve kit, I do think it's an interesting option, I like the idea I can use the factory installed diesel water heater rather than spending over a grand on a new heater & installation costs. Do you know how effective this option is, per chance? Any anecdotal information about how well it works? Many thanks.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Meine Gott! Yes, that's expensive....!!! Interesting though. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it :) Although that is an expensve kit, I do think it's an interesting option, I like the idea I can use the factory installed diesel water heater rather than spending over a grand on a new heater & installation costs. Do you know how effective this option is, per chance? Any anecdotal information about how well it works? Many thanks.
g60 has a kit he should be fitting very soon, waiting for his feedback. Had my Multivan almost 20 years, and never bothered, but there is still time LOL:LOL:LOL:

Does your pre-heater actually work? Have you tested it yet?

Just to let you know, if interested; I have used that particular dealer in Germany myself, 100% spot on.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
Your heater heater starts automatically at temperatures below +5 degrees. There is a sensor behind the bumper on the right half of the front of the car. Disconnect and short the 2 wires to the sensor and the heater should start if it is working. otherwise it might be the glow plug which cost £15.00. While you are at it you can take out the burner chamber and clean out the soot.
It is best to connect these 2 wires to a switch to the dashboard. Then you can let it run for 20 minutes every time to prevent carbon build up.
I replaced mine with a 5Kw model wired as a parking heater with remote.
I run mine for at least 20 minutes every time I use it during winter and once a month during summer. Been working fine for 6 years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Eberspacher does indeed work, I just tested it. Its a cold day and it fired up nicely. I have heard the noise plenty of times but didn't know what it was. It sounds like a jet engine when it starts up!!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
My Eberspacher does indeed work, I just tested it. Its a cold day and it fired up nicely. I have heard the noise plenty of times but didn't know what it was. It sounds like a jet engine when it starts up!!
Great news, you are halfway there and no work involved so far T:T:*<:)>

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pretty impressive really for 17 year old unit! I'll get it serviced in the new year, there's a place near me that is a eberspacher dealer and installer. Next step is to see how g60 gets on with his adapter kit.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Pretty impressive really for 17 year old unit! I'll get it serviced in the new year, there's a place near me that is a eberspacher dealer and installer. Next step is to see how g60 gets on with his adapter kit.
Pretty impressive, to say in the 17 years you have owned it you never even had it serviced.

I never had mine serviced either but it failed after 19 years, (fitted a new one December 2016) my Multivan will be 21 on Sunday ................. how time and money flys with T4 ownership; in total that will be 28 years next year LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
g60 has a kit he should be fitting very soon, waiting for his feedback.

Due to breaking a couple of fingers the fitting never went ahead the other week on my day off.Ill be fitting it early new year.Ill take some pics and let you know how things went T:
g60, that was not in the script! Hope the recovery goes well, likewise with fitting the kit when you feel up to it.

Hope you have a great Christmas *<:)>*<:)>*<:)>

1 - 20 of 34 Posts