VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, in a fit of pique I have bought an Eber from eBay, and now I am trying to decide how I'm going to install it.

I'm thinking of placing it in front of the drivers side rear wheel arch, where a few peeps have suggested in other threads.

I have already ply lined the van and laid carpet - should I remove the carpet and ply from the mounting area, so that the Eber's mounting plate goes directly onto the vans load area? Does the Eber get too hot to place on top of carpet and wood?
It'll all be covered by either a bench seat or cupboards so "looks" isn't an issue.

Also, (one for Wind welder if you're there!) Sika has been mentioned for sealing the plate to the floor - which sika or does it not matter. I'm assuming this is purely to seal against drafts and water.

Thanks in advance.

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi,

You called!
, I assume it is a blown air heater not a water heater?

You do get (or should have) a silicon gasket (normally red) with the heater.

You should not mount the heater on anything that is combustable as one of the large tubes that exit the unit is an exhaust pipe and gets seriously hot.

I personally cut a large square hole in the floor and make a mounting box that brings the heater back up to floor level, and gives a flat mounting surface so no need for sikaflex as the gasket is man enough to seal in that situation.

Eberspacher list a tool for flattening out the corogations of a floor panel, I would think it will be very expensive. I have never seen one , but a dealer may have one.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Trev, like Batman you saw the beacon!

Yup it's a D2 airheater.

Not sure what you mean by making a mounting box, how does that seal against the corrugations of the floor? Do you weld it in?

Wondering if I could make an ally plate with tabs to fill in the corrugations, and bend them down and seal it that way? Then mount the eberspacher plate to that, then the eber itself?

I should say I haven't received it yet, just gathering info for when it arrives...

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, things are moving as regards my install, am going to mount th eunit under the van as another guy on here has done.

My new question is about the controller. Have discovered it's out of a BT Transit and comes with a 7 day timer. I plan on mounting this in the rear along with the rest of the "camping electrical". But is it possible to have another more basic controller in the cab? Thinking about when I'm carrying some less tech-savvy people in the back (or even the dog), and want to provide some more heat than the front vents can provide. A quick adjustment up front whilst driving will be easier than explaining how to use the controller.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
772 Posts
be careful mounting under the van as the airtronic as i understand it regulates the speed and therefore the temp in the van from the intake air temp [not the combustion air intake though ] . so will always be at high speed as the air across the heat exchange will be cold . perhaps taylor could clarify this as i may well be wrong

·
Registered
272 Posts
I installed my unit under the van. It works fine but as mark freer says the unit monitors the temp of the air intake so you need to duct this back into the van as well as the outlet.

I have a 7 day timer mounted in the dash but as I remember from when I wired it in it is possible to connect a simple on/off switch type think which I will at some point connect in to turn the heater on while in bed. It is also possible to connect this into a remote key fob type unit.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yes, I will be recirculating the air from inside the van, much more economical for one. The Eberspacher manual actually lists under the van as an installation option so I'm happy to go with their recommendations.

Was it an actual Eber switch, or just an off the shelf on/off switch? Would be nice to be able to install the mini controller or even just a rheostat in parallel in such a way that they don't interfere with each other. I was thinking either some diodes to separate the signals or just a relay and master switch, which selects between each controller.

Hmm, maybe I'm overcomplicating things, but it would still be interesting to know.

·
Registered
772 Posts
7 day timer option is plug and play to be honest ,it also allows you to recirculate the air in summer as well , timed heat options and you can bypass this one hour run time on it T:

good luck with the install onceyou get over the initial oh s:*t bit its easy , just bleed the deisel line well to get rid of air bubbles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts