VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 12vEBERSPACHER airtronics ,big question is inside mounting or exterior?
Anyone got a good thread or guide to fitting (T4) .
I plan to fit a tee to fuel (again i read this is ok as t4 not pressurised like t5)
and how noisy are they is an exhaust recomended?
An advice welcome .
ex coca cola 2001 2.5 tdi 88bhp soon to be camper/day van.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Given the expense of these units i personally think it's crazy to mount these units on the outside exposed to the elements. I'll be fitting mine inside.
I've never had the experience of an exhaust silencer, and the exhaust does sound alot like a jet engine taking off, but i find the noise a great characteristic of these heaters.
If you've ever had an issue with one of these, you'll appreciate on a freezing cold evening, wrapped up in a sleeping bag, almost too cold to get to sleep, the persistant 'click, click, click' of the fuel pump, and the heater not firing up - it's heart breaking!
BUT when the heater does fire up and the almighty wooooooooooosh from the exhaust, fills you with that great feeling that you're gonna be nice and toasty very soon!

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Given the expense of these units i personally think it's crazy to mount these units on the outside exposed to the elements. I'll be fitting mine inside.
I've never had the experience of an exhaust silencer, and the exhaust does sound alot like a jet engine taking off, but i find the noise a great characteristic of these heaters.
If you've ever had an issue with one of these, you'll appreciate on a freezing cold evening, wrapped up in a sleeping bag, almost too cold to get to sleep, the persistant 'click, click, click' of the fuel pump, and the heater not firing up - it's heart breaking!
BUT when the heater does fire up and the almighty wooooooooooosh from the exhaust, fills you with that great feeling that you're gonna be nice and toasty very soon!
Went through some of this myself ( broken wire in loom), but now mine works fine.

I wouldn't mount it outside so it sits behind my drivers seat beneath a unit. Built my own exhasut, without silencer mounted on mini exhaust mounts alongside van exhaust. Doesn't need silencing as is. But you do need to fit air inlet pipe and exhaust, it helps prevent the heater drawing in it's own exhaust. Barely notice the heater at night as the exhaust keeps it all nice and quiet. The unit itself is mounted on a flat steel plate on a rubber gasket (eber part) which keeps it well isolated from a noise point of view too.

Second hand from a very good mate on here and the best addition to the van. Espescially like yesterday, cold and wet after a real wet muddy bike ride, heater on, get changed, sit in van in tee shirt drinking coffee. Ace !

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Mine's fitted on the crossmember behind the front seats in the dead space between the drivers seat and the B pillar...

Saw it done in a build thread on here so had a go myself.

Keeps it nice and dry and works a treat. You will want to have silencers on the exhaust and I'm also going for one on the combustion inlet too.

Here's how the pipes come out under the crossmember:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
nice location!

I had mine under the van for 2 years. sucked a load of water through it and wrecked the outlet hosing. heater survived, but then packed in when the main power wire cracked and rotted. I've had that fixed but haven't got around to refitting it.

It'll be going inside the van in a box out around the passenger side rear wheel arch with the vent in the front near the door, air intake from the step and exhaust going down through the floor between the rear arch well and side step.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mines out of the way under the drivers seat :

:

More info here : http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100592
Purchased a D2 from eBay came with everything needed to fit except t piece or standpipe . Gonna have a go with the method used by ajpepe72. Suits my uses and never really was sold on the exterior mounted idea .
Van now insulated , so heater installation this saturday before flooring and interior carpeting over the Christmas hols hopefully can then start camping year round ,as I build the rest up units rock and roll bed etc.
Will take photos and start a thread I guess soon.
Thanks for the input so far I am sure I will have more questions soon!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Fitted mine on the outside mate. VW do this with the California and there is a space under your van for it. After its fitted the plastics cover everything and your erber is protected. Its the way to go. Its quieter and takes up no space. I love mine and am glad that I fitted mine underneath in the space allocated it. Fitted the stand pipe too.
Cheers and good luck with the erber.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Fitted mine on the outside mate. VW do this with the California and there is a space under your van for it. After its fitted the plastics cover everything and your erber is protected. Its the way to go. Its quieter and takes up no space. I love mine and am glad that I fitted mine underneath in the space allocated it. Fitted the stand pipe too.
Same here, had a bracket made up and it sits quite nicely inside the side step (underneath). 2 years later and it's still pretty much spotless.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sorry Just seen that you have a T4. I should have read it properly. Not so sure where to mount yours but I do know thats its a lot easier to fit the fuel feed on a T4. Cheers

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
try and fit it with the heater outlet and intake as far apart as possible, the ones in the photos are not fitted properly and wont be heating the van right because the heater outlet and intake are to close it will just suck the air around in a loop, if they had of fitted it with ducting and fed the heat outlet nearer the back of the van it will warm all the van as it will draw the air in a bigger loop, so their warming there cab well but not down by the rear doors.
inside or out dont matter so much just fit it the most accesible place to put it and i would have it serviced before you fit in place to make sure it good to go you can get a service kit cheap of ebay

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
try and fit it with the heater outlet and intake as far apart as possible, the ones in the photos are not fitted properly and wont be heating the van right because the heater outlet and intake are to close it will just suck the air around in a loop, if they had of fitted it with ducting and fed the heat outlet nearer the back of the van it will warm all the van as it will draw the air in a bigger loop, so their warming there cab well but not down by the rear doors.
inside or out dont matter so much just fit it the most accesible place to put it and i would have it serviced before you fit in place to make sure it good to go you can get a service kit cheap of ebay
My outlet is a 90 degree outlet so blows the hot air into the rear of the van not towards the foot well.
Rear of van gets nice and warm before heater goes into slow mode so its fitted fine :*

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
My outlet is a 90 degree outlet so blows the hot air into the rear of the van not towards the foot well.
Rear of van gets nice and warm before heater goes into slow mode so its fitted fine :*
it still will suck it back round as eber have a big suction of air, yes it will warm but not as well as it should/could now if you had another elbow on the outlet pointing at the back of the van that would be better. i know you've fitted it now and your happy but with everything we find out the best way after we have done it

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The outlet is like having an elbow,it direct the air to the rear of the van. If its sucking in the hot air from the outlet then the thermostat would cut in early before rear of van was warm, this doesn't happen so this set up works as it should for me.
surely it would be worse if you had the outlet at the very back of the van pointing towards the front as you,d be blowing your hot air straight towards the front.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
so when eberspsacher are fitted in a narrow boat they have the outlet close to the inlet i think not, they duct it of to help warm the larger area and circulate the heat properly but you obviously know better then pro fitters and eber instructions

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Haha, calm down,you'll do yourself an injury.
Just stating that works fine as is,as does countless other similar installs.
Understand your point on a boat but then they are probably about 10 times the size of a van.
While were on the subject of professionals, what qualifies you to say an install is wrong.
My handbrake doesn't even get warm so all my hot air is going where needed thanks.
Works for me T:T:T:

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Haha, calm down,you'll do yourself an injury.
Just stating that works fine as is,as does countless other similar installs.
Understand your point on a boat but then they are probably about 10 times the size of a van.
While were on the subject of professionals, what qualifies you to say an install is wrong.
My handbrake doesn't even get warm so all my hot air is going where needed thanks.
Works for me T:T:T:
merry christmas ajpepe just trying to help peeps get the best setup (most efficient)
were all friends lol

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I agree the best way is to have the hot air blow out at one end and the inlet at the other

But it's not very practical to run a pipe the full length of the van (expencive too!)

I have just got the outlet to point to the rear and the inlet is at the front under the seat.. I let convection do the rest.

I'd also highly recomend having the heater inside. The heat also radiates off the unit, don't waste it!

I'm no expert but this works well just remember your radiators at home don't have a cold air inlet at the other side of the room because it would be in practical

1 - 20 of 31 Posts