VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting an eberspacher d2 installed shortly and had opted to just put it under the driver's seat. What are the pros's / con's of mounting externally? I hadn't really thought about it until now and am wondering if I should change my mind! Saving any space inside the van would always be a bonus, but wondered if mounting externally would cause any problems with the life of the unit or if there's anything else I should be thinking about?

Cheers

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine is mounted behind the fuel tank in a metal box. Bought the box from butlertechnic I think.

Prefer having the heater outside for noise, safety and space reasons, although I've never had one mounted inside to compare.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
You MUST box it in if you have it external. It can easily get damaged.

Much easier to have it internal, and it doesn't take up much space at all.
Plus you get the residual heat from it once it is off, where as you would loose this if it was mounted outside.

but the BIGGEST reason to mount it internally is the value of them.
They can easily go missing if someone spots you have mounted it outside...... damaging your van in the process. :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah - hadn't realised that the external kit didn't come with a box, can see it would need to be properly sealed in otherwise the elements would destroy it. Hadn't thought about it getting pilfered from outside either.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I prefer to fit them inside. Most of the noise is from the exhaust and intake pipes, which are outside anyway. What always makes me weary of an external fitment, is the number of vans we see with badly damaged undertray plastics. If you damage this (and dont realise), perhaps just hitting a puddle a bit too fast, your heater unit will be completely exposed to the elements. So definitely inside for me unless the customer really wants it underneath.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts