VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an Airtronic S2/D2L diesel heater fitted under my van last year but have not had a chance to use it on a trip yet (roll on freedom from lockdown!).

However, I have fired it up on my drive for a few minutes every month just to remind it that I still care.

My van is parked next to a wall but, even allowing for that, the heater does seem quite noisy from outside. It's difficult to gauge this in a written forum but I'd be inclined to think it might prove irritating to fellow campers on a quiet site. This is despite (supposedly) having a silencer fitted.

Is this to be expected? Can it be remedied?

·
Administrator
5,482 Posts
If it’s a clicking then it’s the fuel pump. Other wise depending what one they fitted then it might be ther older version with the brushed motor. I’ve had both Eber and Autoterm, Autoterm use a brushless motor and there’s a very noticeable difference.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it’s a clicking then it’s the fuel pump. Other wise depending what one they fitted then it might be ther older version with the brushed motor. I’ve had both Eber and Autoterm, Autoterm use a brushless motor and there’s a very noticeable difference.
It's supposed to be the latest model. It's not clicking although the motor whines a bit. It's just general noise - a low grumble a bit like a car ticking over.

·
Administrator
5,482 Posts
I’ve not had any experience of the newer brushless Eber but as I say the version before there was definitely a considerable difference in noise

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, they only sound noisy from start-up when they're running full power until the inside temperature approaches whatever you've set it to, it is from the exhaust. Once it reaches temperature the heater slows down and either just keeps ticking over or stops and starts intemittently to keep the temperature regulated, at that point you can barely hear it. (Try standing in an overnight truck parking in cold weather and listen!) After 20 odd years international truck driving I personally find them a great cabin heater. I've installed one in my camper too. Another little tip, install the pump as far away from your sleeping place as you can, I had the pump mounted on the chassis underneath near to where I slept and found with my head on the pillow I could hear an irritating 'thumping' sound, I moved the pomp up front inside the engine compartment, no problem since.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, they only sound noisy from start-up when they're running full power until the inside temperature approaches whatever you've set it to, it is from the exhaust. Once it reaches temperature the heater slows down and either just keeps ticking over or stops and starts intemittently to keep the temperature regulated, at that point you can barely hear it.
Ah, thanks, I hadn't realised that. I'm now looking forward to running it overnight when we can escape the Covid clutches! (I'll avoid the truck park though)!

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
it is from the exhaust.
It's also worth noting that you get almost as much noise from the combustion air intake as you do from the exhaust - my understanding is that you can buy an additional silencer that can be fitted to the air intake, which can apparently make a significant difference (though I never found the noise to be a major problem on mine with only the exhaust silencer).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's also worth noting that you get almost as much noise from the combustion air intake as you do from the exhaust - my understanding is that you can buy an additional silencer that can be fitted to the air intake, which can apparently make a significant difference (though I never found the noise to be a major problem on mine with only the exhaust silencer).
Thanks. I'll wait till I've given it a longer road test before deciding to add one. A quick google suggests they're about £50.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Ah, ok. Yes I guess that makes sense thinking about it, my assumption was mostly exhaust noise, I'll have to investigate more attentively next time I run the heater, and yes it seems air intake silencers are available, just did a quick interweb search. Likewise, I find the noise no major problem.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I did this on mine, I'm sure they were only 15 quid.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,166 Posts
I just found this video I did of the heater with and without an inlet silencer....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts