VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question, We had the diesel heater on last night for the first time, it works well but does not control to the temperature selected on the little digital (801) control panel.

For example, to have the ambient temperature in the van maintained at say 12 degrees, we need to set the 'set point'
temperature on the little control panel to 5 degrees. The heater is installed under the driver seat and the little controller is installed about 4 feet away and at about waist height.

It would appear that the heater is trying to heat the van up to something like 7 degrees higher than the target
temperature set on the controller.

When we initially set the 'set point' temperature to 20 degrees, the heater just kept on running, I suspect it was probably trying to heat the van to something like 27 degrees!!!

Has anyone come across this before with an Eberspacher?
Any ideas on how we can fix it.

This is a new camper conversion, we have contacted the company that did the conversion for us but they say they have not seen the problem before !!!!

Best regards Ernie

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is the 801 wired to use the temp sensor inside it? If not, the heater will read the return air temp as it comes back into the heater and keep running until it reaches your set temp. The airtronic heaters have a temp sensor inside that reads the return air, this is the default sensor unless any other is connected, such as the one in the front of the 801 or the separate external sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Northern Light, thank you for your reply.

What you describe sounds like it could be my problem.

How would I know how they have wired up the 801?

It is a brand new installation but the company that installed it are not being too helpful, I believe they honestly don't know what is wrong.

many thanks again for your help
Ernie

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
We used our Eb for the first time this weekend at SantaPod.

Had exactly the same problem as you guys. Set it to 18' and woke up at 3 in the morning BAKING.
Swear it was 25'-30' or something! Had to open the door and let all the heat out.

We ended up setting it to 8' the following night and seemed to be spot on. Im going to try reading the info/controls this week to find out where we went wrong.

In our van we actually run TWO controls, with a thermometer in each. One in the rear next to the bed and one in the front in the cubby hole under the light controls. I presume it is all about getting the temp the same on these two thermometers AND the other one in the unit under the drivers seat.

Will have a read and report back if I find anything.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
This is taken from the 801 instructions...

"Adjusting the Temperature
Pressing the or keys will alter the desired temperature shown on the display. This level may be adjusted at any time and will remain in the modulator memory when the heater is not in operation.
When the or keys are released the display will revert back to show ambient temperature.
The Modulator temperature adjustment range is from 5°C to 32°C."

I do have a separate digital thermometer, might crank it up later and see how the temp one it compares to the 801.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the 801 wired to use the temp sensor inside it? If not, the heater will read the return air temp as it comes back into the heater and keep running until it reaches your set temp. The airtronic heaters have a temp sensor inside that reads the return air, this is the default sensor unless any other is connected, such as the one in the front of the 801 or the separate external sensor.
Does any one know how the heater should be wired so that it uses the temperature sensor in the 801 to control the van temperature?

Thanks
Ernie

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Does any one know how the heater should be wired so that it uses the temperature sensor in the 801 to control the van temperature?

Thanks
Ernie
No idea how to do this but trial and error is the way to go. We ended up setting ours to 8' which was PLENTY warm enough on a -5' night.

The heater obviously heats the van from the top down, our 801 sits at bed level and the heater cuts out when it gets to about 13', so I am 100% sure the temp is being SET from the 801 but the thermometer being used is the one on the UNIT.

Will do some more digging to see if I can alter it to us the themom on the 801.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
hi, the mellorautoelectrics has a good wiring diagram for the 801

the grey/red that connects to pin 4 is the modulator for the temp sensor if this isnt connected it will work on return air temp

also the grey on pin 5 is only for external air sensor

hope that helps

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
also it needs the brown to be connected to brown/white of the 16 pin plug or the ohms sensing readings for the temp sensor will be out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, I have checked the wiring between the 801 controller and the D2 heater and it looks like all the wires, including the grey, are connected all the way through.
The heater is definitely controlling from the air intake sensor and in my installation, the intake air will always be a loot colder than the living area air.
I have looked at the wiring diagram but don't see any obvious way of getting the D2 to use the temperature sensor inside the 801 rather than the heater air intake temperature sensor?????
Has any one ever made the changes necessary to use the 801's internal temp sensor instead of the D2 air intake sensor ?

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
right, used mine last night for the first time and mine is the same.. also mine has two outlets the big one on the front and a little one opposite with a right angle not straight outlet,, mine is now boxed into a small unit and the small outlet is now blanked, if i open up the small outlet than will blow into the box its housed in will this then cut out as the little box housing it will get as warm as the area in the van....... does that make sense...?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi, i have the same problem,
i have external t5 kit with intake in drivers footwell.
i set the target temp to 5 and ambient hits 32! the contoller is set quite high up, shoulder level in the back sleeping area, so its cooking in the back.
ive left it on for loads of times now and tried different temps and it just is permanently on.
please help

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,045 Posts
Going to resurrect this thread as there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer anywhere, and I am sure someone knows A:

Got the Eberspacher D2 installed, with an 801 controller fitted.
Following some advice found on the forum, I connected the Grey wire of the controller (pin 5 of the 6-way controller connector) to the Grey wire of the big 16-way Eberspacher connector, using the spare brown wire (chopping it so it was no longer connected to earth, and soldered to grey wire at the 2-pin plug which routes to the 16-pin directly.

So did this, expecting the heater to take note of the ambient temp sensor info, and turn off when ambient temp value hits the "modular" temp (heater set temp) value (same as a home heating system thermostat works really), but the heater just kept going :*

Maybe the 801 does/will not work this way and an external sensor is the best option? Something like this ... EXTERNAL TEMP TEMPERATURE SENSOR KIT 251774890300
Seems pricey at £60 for a sensor, but after spending over £600 on a heater, may as well have the bugger working well!

Any ideas to get Controller sensor used by heater? Will the external temp sensor actually work as you would logically think?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hoovie

Probably not what you want to hear, but I wired in my 801 straight from the box and its internal temp gauge work perfectly. If you PM me your address I'm happy to send you a photo of the wiring connections (I hate trying to post pictures on here)

Have you had a good nose here?

http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/Eberspacher_Control_1.html

and

http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/Eberspacher_Sensor.html

The second link give you some cheaper external temp sensor options should you decide to go that way.

·
8,045 Posts
Hoovie

Probably not what you want to hear, but I wired in my 801 straight from the box and its internal temp gauge work perfectly. If you PM me your address I'm happy to send you a photo of the wiring connections (I hate trying to post pictures on here)

Have you had a good nose here?

http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/Eberspacher_Control_1.html

and

http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/Eberspacher_Sensor.html

The second link give you some cheaper external temp sensor options should you decide to go that way.
I'll drop you a PM T:

Maybe I tried to get too clever and added the extra wire when it wasn't needed?
So when you say "internal temp guage" this is the one in the 801 and it works like a home thermostate i.e. Heater temp matches air temp shown in controller and heater shuts off? (At least the heater part, the fan stays on for a while I understand?)

Think I have seen those sites, but I will look again A:

Thanks T:

·
8,045 Posts
I was reading that site earlier today when trying to make sense of this :)

So taking this section from the site...
"To install the remote temperature sensor join it to the grey and brown/white loom wires. The sensor is not polarity dependent so can be connected either way round. In the loom connector the brown/white wire is on pin 6 and the grey wire on pin 12. The far end of the brown/white wire will be connected to the controller. You will need to splice into that wire for the sensor unless you are very lucky and have a loom like this which has two brown/white wires. The remote end of the grey wire should be found easily but sometimes it may be folded back inside the loom sheath or cut off short. Do not confuse it with the grey/red wire which can look grey from some directions but has a narrow red stripe. If it enters the loom sheath but there is no sign of it coming out you may need to pull it back completely. Advice on refitting the wire into the loom is in the D1LCC section. If you are using the remote sensor in an 801 controller only the grey wire will be needed, the sensor is already connected to the brown/white inside the 801. During the start up checks the Eberspacher looks for the presence of the remote sensor and selects it automatically".

If you are using the remote sensor in an 801 controller only the grey wire will be needed, the sensor is already connected to the brown/white inside the 801
This is what I did, using the full brown wire to join the 801 controller grey to the main loom grey.

You will need to splice into that wire for the sensor unless you are very lucky and have a loom like this which has two brown/white wires
This is the loom I have, so it would seem what I have what they do, and what I have done ties up with their suggestion of what to do :*

I may go for an external sensor anyway as it would potentially give extra accuracy in terms of positioning? I hadn't picked up on theose guys having a £10 sensor solution - seems pretty reasonable compared to £60 from Eberspacher :*

·
Registered
393 Posts
So when you say "internal temp guage" this is the one in the 801 and it works like a home thermostate i.e. Heater temp matches air temp shown in controller and heater shuts off?
Yes, exactly like that. Set the temp for 20 degrees on the 801 and the heater gets the van up to 20 degrees and maintains that temp. No external sensors used, just the 801.

I've emailed you a picture of my wiring.

·
8,045 Posts
Yes, exactly like that. Set the temp for 20 degrees on the 801 and the heater gets the van up to 20 degrees and maintains that temp. No external sensors used, just the 801.

I've emailed you a picture of my wiring.
Thanks. Replied with a couple of questions :) (you have two wires not as I expected)

I aupposedly do have the wiring right so will check again in the morning (only installed this afternoon :) ) to check if it is working like I think it is (no sensor), or is actually ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
we had the same issue and could not resolve it,being under the seat sucking air in from the cab were its always colder,i fitted a pipe onto the intake same size as the exit pipe and fitted a vent on the end and came out at the side of the exit pipe so the air was warmer and it seemed to work fine,it just looks like you have 2 exit pipes looks tidy and no issues in blowing it up with some dodgy wiring:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts