VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i started a thread on how to wire my D2 eberspacher.
As anybody who bore witness to my shameless self-bumpification will testify i eventually worked it out the long way as we all inevitably have to do.
This in turn has thrown up something of an issue, maybe more of a footnote, for those with ex-bt units and a 1 hour limited timer.
It seems there is a fairly well established work around which is to put a 3 way switch in the yellow cable so that you can send a constant 12v to the unit in place of the timer.
A manual override.
It occurs to me though that this will just run the heater constantly, rather like a car heater.
I think it may be better to have the manual override thermostatically controlled.
Maybe even put the thermostat between the switch and the unit, making both the timer and override thermostatically limited.
A search for a 12v thermostat produced this...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31698&C=Froogle&U=31698&T=Module&j=true

(I have to confess, i quite enjoy building these kits. I should probably also confess, since it's implied, that James May is my favourite Top Gear presenter.)

Is there any point to me doing this?

B.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's nothing i love more than a bit of season/activity disparity, that's actually my main hobby.

B.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well done, I only finished my install a few weeks ago I:

I think the thermostat still works, isn't it inside the D2 unit itself for setting the temperature of the air output?

Either that or the grey / red wire from the controller is marked as temp setting on the diagram?

With the override in place the recirculation fan works continously too T:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well done, I only finished my install a few weeks ago I:

I think the thermostat still works, isn't it inside the D2 unit itself for setting the temperature of the air output?

Either that or the grey / red wire from the controller is marked as temp setting on the diagram?

With the override in place the recirculation fan works continously too T:

As i gather there is some sort of temp control inside the unit itself, which bases its power on how hot the air passing through the unit is,
it doesn't quite sound like a room 'stat that would start the heater when the room temp drops and cut it out when the set temp is reached.

I'd also like to be able to use the unit in ventillation mode - no heat, just fan.
- hence the summer installation.

I'm beginning to think that i may just be better off putting my 701 timer up on the bay and buying one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-M...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item414fd920b8

Thermostatic control, vent mode, sorted.

B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts