VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought I'd get this one going again...

Ive fitted my D2 now in the floor of my van and made a box for it to live in. What i need to know is... Which would be best, tapping the main deisel line to the engine for the fuel feed or using a proper fuel pickup in the tank. As i will be using the heater when parked up or camping I will be leaning towards tapping the fuel line. If i do it this way does any one know which size 'T' peice i should use?

·
Registered
772 Posts
i think ita a 8x8x6 mm tee peice but i think it would be better to run a seprate feed into the tank with a shorter stand pipe ,

·
Registered
649 Posts
I dont think you need to go to that bother. You can buy a tank stand pipe and install it in the top access cap (under the passenger seat). There is couple of threads on here showing how to do it.

I hope so anyway as I have just aquired a D2 too which I will be installing it in the next couple of weeks. My plan is to take pics of everything i do and post them up, maybe of help to someone (unless it looks ca ca of course). Am just attacking eBay and other places and getting lots of bits n bobs for the build.

Planning on putting the heater under the van too, save a bit of space and keep any fumes or fire risks outside, just need to make a bracket to protect it.

Got it booked in at Vamoose in January for a pop top...............you cant take it with yer!

Smokey.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about putting it underneith the van aswell but was concerned the inlet and exhaust might hang too low. I bolted mine in belind the drivers seat and I've made a box for it. I have yet to plumb it in for fuel and put in the wiring in, I have the mini controller but dont know if I would prefer the 7 day timer to warm the van up in the mornings!

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Fitted mine under the van in the original box from a BT van.
A few mods like making it shorter and putting holes in each end for the inlet and outlet pipes, inlet from the slider step grill and outlet to a velle vent fitted to floor behind the drivers seat.
Also fitted it sideways on, so the exhaust and inlet went paralell to the floor.
It is mounted behind the fuel tank and is no lower than that at any point.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fitted mine under the van in the original box from a BT van.
A few mods like making it shorter and putting holes in each end for the inlet and outlet pipes, inlet from the slider step grill and outlet to a velle vent fitted to floor behind the drivers seat.
Also fitted it sideways on, so the exhaust and inlet went paralell to the floor.
It is mounted behind the fuel tank and is no lower than that at any point.
I see from you box the unit sits on its side. When I went over the fitting instructions (Free on the Eberspacher web site) it indicated that the mounting of the unit must be upwright.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I thought about putting it underneith the van aswell but was concerned the inlet and exhaust might hang too low. I bolted mine in belind the drivers seat and I've made a box for it. I have yet to plumb it in for fuel and put in the wiring in, I have the mini controller but dont know if I would prefer the 7 day timer to warm the van up in the mornings!
Put the on switch within arms reach. Stretch outside the quilt and ON! Bobs yer....save them pounds.

Smokey.

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
I had the same worry too.
However someone else had one mounted on the side door step, on its side with the exhaust etc going through the side and had no probs so I thought I'd give it a go and guess what, it works.
Been underneath on its side for 12 months, no problems so far and toasty warm inside.T:

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
With my van running on -60s the exhaust was nearly dragging on the road

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
can be fitted on the side with no probs at all ive got fitting instructions somwere if i can dig em out ill post em here

andy

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I'm looking into getting an Eberspacher, one question though is will they run on veggie oil/diesel mix as I quite often run on veggie oil, especially when going away on a run which is when I'd most likely use the heater?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
it says not in the manual but id put money on it that it would im actualy gna prolly be reconing one tommorow if i fet chance ill maybe try it on a weak mix then slowly build it up to 50/50. i reckon itll be fine

andy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts