VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this site and to converting upgrading my soon to be T5 camper. I've been reading a few posts regarding retro fitting cruise control but may need to upgrade the ecu as well. Is this a plug and play job are is there more to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Special Rapporteur
9,800 Posts
You don't need to upgrade the ECU - which is entirely for engine management - but you may need to upgrade the main Body Control Module if your current one does not include the function. A forum search for "cruise control" will find you threads with the information you need. Note that the built-in forum search tool ignores any "word" of three letters or less, so it's better to use Google if using short search words.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Thanks for the information. I've been searching round the forum. Lots of threads for cruise control and what i need to fit but can't seem to find how to upgrade the control unit. I've found which are compatible. I'll keep searching.

Thanks

·
Special Rapporteur
9,800 Posts
By "upgrade" they mean "replace". You unplug the old one, plug in the new one, get it coded and - assuming you have fitted the correct stalk and wiring - away you go. Be warned - it is quite an expensive thing to do if you buy new parts - IIRC the cost is not far short of £200 for the module, which is why people often use secondhand ones.

There are plenty of companies that will do it for you - for example possibly the most expensive is this one:

http://www.hazzydayz.com/vw-transporter-7h-t5-cruise-control-2003---2009-1935-p.asp

As you can see, they add £200+VAT to the cost if your control module needs upgrading - and they use secondhand (sorry - "refurbished") parts anyway!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is a 2008 model a T5 or 5.1? I did mine in a 2007 model with a second hand BCM. Pretty quick and easy job, but the 'coding' is a small hassle as you have to go through each configurable option, there was no overall backup and restore function that I could find in my version of VCDS.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,800 Posts
there was no overall backup and restore function that I could find in my version of VCDS.
It's there, but it's pretty basic.

Ross-Tech recommend that before you do any coding changes, you do an autoscan and save the results to disk - that is your backup.

The autoscan shows the original coding for every module, so if you need to revert, all you need to do is copy/paste or type in the (often long) hexadecimal number and press Go. You don't actually have to go through each configurable option to revert to a previous "known good" coding.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all. .

This seems like a simply operation does anyone have step by step instructions for the coding part?
Any suggestions on where to get the party's from to do this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Have a read through this; i found it very useful

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=206427

Crawl under the dash drivers side, remove panel and make a note of the Body Control Module (BCM) part number. There is a list of part no.s in the thread that are compatible with CC.

If yours matches one that does support CC, you just need to activate cruise in the VCDS and upgrade the stalk!

Its a p.i.t.a but can be done

rob

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers. I'll get under they're and have a look. I've seen a list of compatible bcm somewhere on here. I'll find them out.

Any idea where i can get the parts from or is out on the other link?

I'll check it out anyway. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems there are several different ways to upgrade the cruise control and BCM.

One I've fitted the cruise stalk does it just plug into the upgraded BCM or is there something else it needs to plug into as well?

I've also seen a couple of post referring to the trip stalk on the right hand side to activate the menus on the mfd.
How can i tell of my van supports the trip stalk?

Sorry for all the questions but want to do this my self as my conversion funds are running very low.

Thanks for any help? .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts