VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. Im brand new to this forum and T4 ownership!

I am searching for a little advice. My 1.9TD 2001 model smokes blue grey on cold start up. Once its warmed up a bit its fine.

Ive done a little research on possible causes and have changed the glow plugs which made no difference.

I am wondering whether my van has had its egr blanked off and if so could it cause this symptom. If so, to reverse, is it as simple as removing plates that may have been fitted?

I havnt removed to have a look yet just in case I am barking up the wrong tree??

I would have thought if it was something more sinister it would smoke all the time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Blue smoke normally means burning oil. The EGR delete on older engines improves emissions.
I'd start by checking your inlet pipes for oil. The oil will pool overnight & get drawn into the engine on start-up.
What grade oil are you using?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi.

Thanks for reply. Just changed the oil (and filter) with 10w40 although it was happening pre oil change. Thought an oil change might help. Engine has done 188k.

Checked the breather unit on the rocker cover and this was very clean.

What pipes to check (im a relative novice)? It runs absolutely fine and, as i say, once warmed up it is smoke free. Its also just sailed through its MOT with no emissions issues.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue smoke normally means burning oil. The EGR delete on older engines improves emissions.
I'd start by checking your inlet pipes for oil. The oil will pool overnight & get drawn into the engine on start-up.
What grade oil are you using?
Hi.

Thanks for reply. Just changed the oil (and filter) with 10w40 although it was happening pre oil change. Thought an oil change might help. Engine has done 188k.

Checked the breather unit on the rocker cover and this was very clean.

What pipes to check (im a relative novice)? It runs absolutely fine and, as i say, once warmed up it is smoke free. Its also just sailed through its MOT with no emissions issues.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,877 Posts
Check the pipe from air filter to turbo.
"Normal" to find a "smear" in there, but if there's a pool, that would cause the problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
does it start ok from cold and are you ok for power? I know these aren't rocket ships but it should pull in 5th gear at 40 mph. Other possibility is an incorrectly installed cam belt with slightly retarted pump timing. This is very common and unburned fuel can smoke blueish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts