VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just managed to source a blanking kit from a local metal works, the kit will include the Blanking Plate and full instruction on cleaning/fitting, cost will be £9.99 at the moment but if I can get 10 people interested it would bring the price down to £8.99 and with 20 people interested £7.99, and if over 30 interested price would be only £6.99 these prices included P&P.

PLEASE NOTE THESE ARE NOW READY PLEASE SEE PAGE 5 FOR PAYMENT DETAILS
After many conversations with people in the know we don't need the Gaskets (see bottom of page 4 on this thread) the price has come down to £5.50 please see my last post for details of what you get.

**************now back in stock*************

Paypal [email protected] please put your name and address in instuctions box, (mark as a gift)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
EGR So, why do we have it?

The EGR is simply an emissions reducing measure. When the engine heats up excessively, nitrous oxide is produced and this is one of the worst emissions. To reduce this production, the engine temperature needs to be reduced and the EGR allows recirculated exhaust gas back into the inlet side of the engine. This is a continuous process happens more when the engine temp rises and help to reduce the operating temperature.

It does however, to differing degrees, make the engine less efficient and also curbs the maximum performance.

Some EGR applications can have the mapping of the valve changed to reduce the actuation, and others simply choose to block it off.

Blocking off is not possible on a petrol engine because of the MOT checks. But this is not the case on diesels and it certainly stops the gunge creation, as long as you are aware that the engine is producing more 'naughty' gasses than it was originally intended to.

--------
Hope this helps

To answer other questions this should fit all turbo models 1.9 and 2.5 T4's

I have sent the order in today and will let you all know when they are ready.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Are there any long term problems with having the engine run hotter?
Do you actually notice the difference? (1.9 in particular..)
(Basically, why wouldn't you do this? Just gasses?)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are there any long term problems with having the engine run hotter?
Do you actually notice the difference? (1.9 in particular..)
(Basically, why wouldn't you do this? Just gasses?)
The EGR is not there to stop the engine getting hotter, its more to do with the temp NOx is produced by the engine. here are quote from other websites:

"EGR is considered a `metered intake leak' and was developed to reduce the combustion temperatures to below 2,500 degrees, the threshold where NOx is created."

"EGR valve applications come with tremendous fuel efficiency as well as performance gains"

Cheers
Gary

1 - 20 of 222 Posts