VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I got an EGR blanking plate, and was soon out fitting it. Then I saw it had already been done.
Damnit- no improvements to be made there then. But I thought maybe I could remove the EGR pipe entirely at some point and use the new plate to blank off the exhaust manifold end.
Later, when replacing my vac hoses, I noticed that the vacuum connection to the EGR valve was seeping some kind of black fluid into the pipe. Didn't think much about it at the time.
So I got some shortened bolts (M8x10) for the EGR pipe removal and today set to it. I soon realised the nuts at the manifold end needed the EGR valve assembly to be removed to properly access. so off it came:

Full of black [email protected]!!
Ok so it's quite hard gettin pics of black stuff but you get the idea. So cleaning:

My thinking is that there is oil coming from the turbo and the EGR valve diaphragm is gone, hence the seepage into the vac tube.
Temporary solution: remove vac tube to N75 and block both connectors. I'm removing the EGR pipe anyway:

If I had more time, and some paint...
and

OK so there's probably a better way to cap these but I couldn't think of one at the time.
The Black gunk seems to have lined the intake manifold too:

You can't really see but it's about 5mm thick. Everywhere. there's a fair amount of it in there. Running the engine and flushing it into the cylinders with seafoam or something seems an unpleasant idea. Any suggestions?:confused:

Any the EGR pipe:

Now thats a handy tool... but:

AAAAAAAAAAArgh :eek:
The rear nut came of OK once I'd levered the pipe out the way and moved the header tank, but the front stud sheared off!
After 20 mins of cursing and plumbing the depths of my bodging inspiration I came up with this:

A big jubilee clip that was handy around the manifold and a bolt to get the pressure in the right place.
Trouble is I know this is only a temporary solution but I have no idea how to do anything more permanent.
I'm all ears...
It seems to be OK for now but I can't see any solution that doesn't involve taking the engine to pieces.

Engine bay does look nicer though:

but...:(

·
Registered
694 Posts
Seconded, heat the manifold up with a gas torch then while its hot mig weld a nut over the top of the broken stud, let it cool for about 30 seconds then try and undo the nut, normally comes out a treat.

·
Registered
823 Posts
What they said. That jubilee clip won't last. TDI manifolds are just like that, gunked up. Mine was the same, I cleaned it out, blocked off the EGR and hopefully it's not happening again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Aren't EGR systems good, allow exhaust back into the cylinders.
Exhaust gas = soot

Does anyone know why EGR systems are fitted....

Regards,
Nige

·
Registered
66 Posts
I see some guys remove the vac pipe from the n75 and some block it. What is the difference in what the ecu picks up?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Disconnecting the vac pipes will make no difference to to ECU side of things as the valve is still operating normally,as with any EGR the sooner you blank it or delete it the better T:

·
Registered
247 Posts
EGR. Exhaust gas recirculation.
Designed to re burn exhaust gasses to try to clean up the released gasses into the environment.
Now they have combined that with the DPF

·
Registered
823 Posts
The idea is to cool combustion temps. so that the oxygen and nitrogen in the air don't combine (which they do at high temps) to form Nitrogen Oxide, a greenhouse gas.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are champs!A:
I didn't even know the stud could come out, I though it was a part of the manifold.
Now I just need to learn to weld...;)

What they said. That jubilee clip won't last. TDI manifolds are just like that, gunked up. Mine was the same, I cleaned it out, blocked off the EGR and hopefully it's not happening again.
How did you clean it? Take it off or flush it through the engine?

So what dioe removing this and blanking it off actually achieve?? Other than the headache you now have in soerting it out??
A prettier engine bay of course! did you not see the last picture? It's beautiful!:D
on a more serious note, When I first went to fit the blanking plate I saw that the EGR pipe was full (packed solid) with soot. The thought of chunks of that falling out and being blown into the turbo didn't sit well with me. In fact when I did get the pipe off some had fallen into the manifold so I hoovered it out.

That header needs topping up or is it just the camera angle?!T:

Your photos remind me of a day in my garage, sort of thing I end up doing!LOL:
Two bolts I've done before and two nuts. Simple. Shouldn't take more than five mins...I:
When will I learn?
And yes, the header needs topping up...

Yes people NOx is NASTY STUFF! But my understanding is that the amount my vehicle will produce is miniscule. Certainly when taken in comparison to what's produced by manufacturing the replacements when the EGR system kills my sensors/valves/engine...

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Haha! Know the feeling!

The intake manifold has to be taken off in order to clean it.
I have an intake here all looking spanking new ready to go on my Turbo project.

To clean it I used a food recycling bin, council brought them around but we never leave leftovers! So the narrow bin which is around 25" high and 10" square got filled with hot bio washing powder and left to soak.
This loosened all the soot and then I used various brushes, like toothbrush, bottle cleaners etc with white spirit to get it back to being clean.

Others have used carb cleaner or petrol. I tried petrol at first after watching a video showing them soaking the soot and lighting a match! DON'T DO THIS! Apart from being dangerous the fire gave off huge amounts of black smoke which are probably dangerous too and not great when you live in a residential area!

Just make sure when you take the inlet off you don't snap any more bolts!LOL:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...Also take your shoes off before go back in the house...
You didn't say anything about outside! I'm halfway through doing this in my living room.
And using the petrol method.:confused:

:D

I'm actually wondering if it's worth doing at all. did you find any improvements, or have you not fitted it yet?

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
LOL:
When I bolt mine on it will be totally different altogether.
Mines a 2.4 with a 2.5 inlet, exhaust manifold & turbo so I won't be able to comment!

I'm sure it must improve the air flow having all that gunk out.

Was tempted to buy a few inlet manifolds, clean them up and sell them on with an exchange service. But its a messy job!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts