VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting this error all of the time when I read the fault codes.

OBDeleven data log

Date: 2021-10-15 15:53

VIN: WV2ZZZ7HZCH002027
Car: Volkswagen Caravelle
Year: 2012
Body type: VAN
Engine: CCHA 103 kW (140 HP) 2.0 l
Mileage: 62780 KM

---------------------------------------------------------------
01 Engine

System description: R4 2,0L EDC
Software number: 03L906019DH
Software version: 9133
Hardware number: 03L907309K
Hardware version: H42
Serial number: 00000000000000
ODX name: EV_ECM20TDI01103L906019DH
ODX version: 002008
Long coding: 0125401A232400080000

Trouble codes:
P144000 - EGR vacuum regulator Solen.val. Open circuit
Intermittent
Date: 2118-12-08 15:18:01
Mileage: 62789 km
Priority: 2
Malfunction frequency counter: 7
Unlearning counter: 255
Engine speed: 0.00 1/min
Normed load value: 0.0 %
Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
Coolant temperature: 75 °C
Intake air temperature: 39 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 12.160 V
Dynamic environmental data: 2096281026000010C22000132F1FCC1331001A11ED7703020011A90DE5

Should I be getting something done to fix this, or is it of no real importance? If this is something that should be corrected, what needs to be done?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A follow up to this question because the van went into limp mode and the glow plug light started flashing a few weeks ago. Not doing anything out of the ordinary other than we had just gone down a steep slope with a 30mph speed limit. I had set cruise control to 30, so the engine was helping to limit the speed by changing down (it's 7 speed DSG). I stopped the van and ran the OBDeleven diagnostics once without switching the ignition off, then repeated this after an ignition cycle. I don't remember whether the glow plug light went off immediately, but no further DTCs were set on the drive home (around 70 miles) and the fault did not reccur.

So, questions:
  • Is the glow plug and limp mode just a one-off, or something that is likely to happen again?
  • Is there anything I can do to get rid of the persistent DTC (in my post above)?
  • Reading up, I'm getting the feeling that it could be the EGR solenoid that's the problem. Is this easy to change? Where is it on a T5.1?
  • Anything else I should check or do?

·
Registered
431 Posts
P1440 is normally the electrical part of the egr valve failing, sometimes clears for a while but will require a replacement egr valve to fix the fault. Worth checking the wiring doesn't have and damage and the plug is clean inside.
Its on the back of the engine near the top, has the big long silver cooler attached

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have just braved the weather for a closer look. There seem to be two likely candidates, both fixed to a metal bracket:
Car Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood Vehicle

Have a feeling that the EGR solenoid is one of these two. Can't see the part number of the one on the left, but the one on the right is IKO 906 283. Is this it?
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Special Rapporteur
10,535 Posts
I don't think so. As I understand it, the EGR solenoid is internal to the EGR valve assembly itself - it is the actuator that opens and closes the valve. A common failure mode on vans of that age is that the electronics that control the solenoid - which are also internal - corrode away. A replacement EGR valve assembly is needed in that case, unless the corrosion is very light.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes sorry didn't make that clearer, the engine isn't vacuum operated like the older models it's electrical motor controlled. The definition of the code on you diagnostic makes it confusing.
It's the big long bit below where those valves are, electrical part on the right as you look at it

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@triffic @gtijames . Thanks guys. I take it this is the expensive bit (or is it easy to take apart enough to check for corrosion?). Was hoping that it would be one of those valves which seem to be fairly cheap.
Is this do-able by a mechanical no-hoper (me) or just worth leaving... I don't really want to leave something that is just going to get worse and probably far more expensive.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update time again.
Decided to get a new solenoid (as above) because the fault code really did seem to fit with the solenoid not working. It was only £20 ish from the bay of e so seemed worth a punt.
Guess what? Error code gone! It's not all in the clear though as I have got a P046C00 EGR Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance logged. This was just after fitting the new solenoid, so thinking a good run might be needed to clear the muck out of the system.
Have I fixed it? Place your bets please.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,535 Posts
Interesting - so the solenoid you replaced is the one in your photo? I'd always assumed that when it came to the facelift, VW had done away with the vacuum-operated parts of the EGR valve and that it was operated by an internal electrical actuator - but it sounds as though it's more complicated than that.

So you replaced part 1K0 906 283?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting - so the solenoid you replaced is the one in your photo? I'd always assumed that when it came to the facelift, VW had done away with the vacuum-operated parts of the EGR valve and that it was operated by an internal electrical actuator - but it sounds as though it's more complicated than that.

So you replaced part 1K0 906 283?
Yes. Correct.
Assuming the P046C00 fault will clear after a good run, then it's an easy and cheap fix.

Thing is, there's no light shown for the P144000 error so unless you have a code reader you won't know anything about it. Seems that it eventually migrates to more serious faults which you do get a light for, and it dips into limp mode every now and then.

It's something to keep an eye on, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,583 Posts
You always used to have to perform an adaptation with any new EGR valve, so it knows its parameters. If I remember with VCDS it was done using 'Basic Settings'. But things might have changed. There is a chance that it will sort itself out if you do a few cold to hot cycles including idling, cruising and heavy throttle

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks @T5 TDI I've only changed the solenoid so assume the EGR valve shouldn't need to be re-adapted. WIll try a few cycles over the next few days to see if it clears itself.
Engine is running fine at the moment (only one test run so far though). I'll keep looking at the logs to see if the one error left does eventually clear itself.
Do you (or anyone else) know if there is some PID that is worth monitoring to show what is not operating as intended. This error is for sensor 'A' so assume there is also a sensor 'B'. Is there anything to be said for comparing the two, or are these completely different things?

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,583 Posts
On VCDS the EGR sensors are numbered rather than assigned a letter. But if sensor A on your scanner is the same as sensor 1 on VCDS then it is an EGR temperature sensor. If you are able to make live data logs with your scanner then you could try logging the EGR duty cycle. You would have watch it live on the road (or make a log against the throttle opening) and see that it is closed on wide open throttle and opens on steady cruise. Usually they are set to be open at idle but close after a minute or so idling.

With VDCS (I don't have anything else so don't know about your tool) you can also 'exercise' the EGR with the engine idling. You can hear the engine note change as the ECU pulses the EGR valve through its full range. It doesn't mean that it is fully working but it does prove that the EGR is moving and allowing (and cutting) gas flow.

With some components even disconnecting them can mean that they need to be adapted again. That can happen with steering angle sensors.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been out for several drives around the countryside and it goes into limp mode fairly regularly now so the cheap fix doesn't seem to be working. Now booked in for an EGR change in a couple of weeks. I'm tempted to ask for the old part so I can have a look at the insides and see how clogged up it is.
I did get a quote from VW main dealer but couldn't justify the 3 - 4 times more expensive than our local trusted garage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts