VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Been reading all the treads on blanking off the EGR valve etc..
Can I just disconnect the electrics to stop it opening??
Will this have the same affect or will it bugger the engine in some way?

Sorry to add another thread on this just wondered

Cheers Col

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disconnected it and am happy with the results. So will be blanking it off soon?
Why an MOT failure?
Will it fail if blanked?

Cheers
Col

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Its a 2.5- 88Bhp version

Col
I'd say your fine.
On my 88 the ECU doesn't know what the valve is actually doing - no feed back so no warning light.
I left mine connected though, it's blanked but if I disconnect the vac pipe to the valve the N18 valve chatters.
I've haven't tried unplugging the connector to the N18 though, and that would be the easiest way to disable the EGR assuming the actual valve is seating correctly - not leaking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I might not bother to blank it off. Just leave it disconnected, but strip and clean the valve to make sure it is seated properly.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Disconnecting the N18 on the 2.5tdi will not throw up any codes. If your EGR valve is clean, then disconnecting it will save the £5 odd that the blanking plates cost. I bought the replacement pipe from ebay which replaces the whole EGR unit. It makes the engine bay look neater, and theoretically will increase airflow. I haven't really noticed the difference to be honest, i just didnt want exhaust gases being recycled into my inlet manifold and making it dirty.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Disconnecting the N18 on the 2.5tdi will not throw up any codes. If your EGR valve is clean, then disconnecting it will save the £5 odd that the blanking plates cost. I bought the replacement pipe from ebay which replaces the whole EGR unit. It makes the engine bay look neater, and theoretically will increase airflow. I haven't really noticed the difference to be honest, i just didnt want exhaust gases being recycled into my inlet manifold and making it dirty.
Only issue i saw with the pipe you have is the shut off valve is no gone ,

For me disconnecting with a blank plate and putting a small ball bearing in the feed pipe and everything still looks stock .

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Only issue i saw with the pipe you have is the shut off valve is no gone ,

For me disconnecting with a blank plate and putting a small ball bearing in the feed pipe and everything still looks stock .
I know what your saying, but the only advantage i can see to blanking the EGR and cleaning it would be the improved airflow. Without the SOV, the airflow will be further improved, and i have done away with all the EGR pipe work from the exhaust manifold, so unless you know it should be there, you will never notice its missing. Plus the whole assembly is hidden by the intercooler.
The other point to make is that i live in france, and i am not subject to the same scrutiny by the insurance and MOT people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts