VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, so forgive me if this question has been answered - I didn't find anything when I searched.

My T5 is a 2011 model, 1968cc Diesel, converted to a camper. (Autosleepers Trident)

It's done about 30,000 miles and the engine management system has reported an EGR fault. I'm told it will cost over £600 to replace the EGR valve.

Obviously I'm disgusted that it has failed at such a low mileage, and that the warranty from the Motorhome dealer doesn't cover it, but I am getting the impression that it's a common problem.

Questions:

1) Does it really have to be replaced, or is there any servicing or cleaning that will fix it.

2) I have been told that it is possible to re-program the engine management system in some way to get round it. I'm not sure whether this means that it will ignore the fault, or whether it just disables the valve altogether. Is this possible? And would it be wise? I don't want to try and save money now and find I've damaged the engine later.

3) While the fault light is on it still seems to be running perfectly well. Are there any dangers in driving it like this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,766 Posts
As above, a search will get you plenty of info. Pay attention to Cocoa's recent posts, as it seems likely VW will do a goodwill deal for you, as they did for him.

If it's the most common problem, cleaning will not help - it's caused by corrosion on the control board PCB.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
If its got full history I would see if you can get VW to pay a little under goodwill as the T5.1 has well publicised EGR valve failures.
Also you can only map out the EGR if the DPF is done as well as the EGR is sometimes used to aid the regeneration process.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The only downside of EGR delete on this engine is that it will heat up more slowly, because the exhaust gas won't reach the cooler.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
The EGR on our Skoda Fabia failed at 2900 miles. It is a design fault of the CR engine that is no doubt costing VW a fortune. In my instance, the roller pin that controls the flap inside failed with the result of the EGR sticking open. Apparently this was the better of the two options according to the VW assistance tech that came out to do the diagnosis.
Thankfully, we we're only 3 months into ownership when it failed so no quibble and replacement vehicle for the duration.

I wouldn't let VW use service history as an excuse to dodge the issue, after all, the EGR is not a serviceable item like say, an oil filter or air filter...

I've a friend on here (Irishwales) that has also encountered the same issue too. Hope you get it sorted.

T:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All sorted now.

When I mentioned the problem to a VW van dealer, they immediately said that VW might pay some of the cost. As it turned out, they have paid 70% of the price of the part, though nothing towards labour. That still left me with a bill for over £300, but better than the £685 I was quoted by the motorhome dealer.

They tell me that the part they have fitted is an improved design, so I shouldn't get the same fault again, and the part has a 2 year guarantee.

This VW dealer (Breeze Vans in Portsmouth) made a good impression, and I think they would have looked for a goodwill contribution from VW even if I hadn't asked, but it was certainly very helpful to have all the information from this forum so that I had my ammunition ready. Thank you to everyone who commented.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
All sorted now.

When I mentioned the problem to a VW van dealer, they immediately said that VW might pay some of the cost. As it turned out, they have paid 70% of the price of the part, though nothing towards labour. That still left me with a bill for over £300, but better than the £685 I was quoted by the motorhome dealer.

They tell me that the part they have fitted is an improved design, so I shouldn't get the same fault again, and the part has a 2 year guarantee.

This VW dealer (Breeze Vans in Portsmouth) made a good impression, and I think they would have looked for a goodwill contribution from VW even if I hadn't asked, but it was certainly very helpful to have all the information from this forum so that I had my ammunition ready. Thank you to everyone who commented.
If you ever need other work doing Independant VW in Hedge End are good and there service manager Malcom Jennings used to be the service manager at Breeze vans Totton.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
The only downside of EGR delete on this engine is that it will heat up more slowly, because the exhaust gas won't reach the cooler.
This may not always be the case though, I know it's not on a VW but I have played around with the later 3l BMW diesel engines and when I did several data logs of how quickly the engine warmed up it didn't make much difference at all if the EGR was active or disabled.

·
Registered
82 Posts
sorry Hijack time...

EGR MT2 air valve thingy by N74 What is it?

I blanked off mine and the EGR seems not to work for the cost of a 6mm bolt......?
is this blanked?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts