VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I had the EGR done in my old 2010 T5.1 after it went into limp mode with the glowplug warning light on. I tried to clean it in situ with some carb cleaner but it didn't work. I paid £600 fitted at a my local dealership for a new one :eek: Baring in mind that this thing is tiny I was not best pleased, especially as it seems to be a common fault and I paid £24k for the van brand new from that dealership 3 and a bit years before.

I've just bought a 2014 plate and am considering runing some sort of cleaner through it on a regular basis to try and prevent this happening again but not sure what. Any ideas people? Should supermarket fuel be avoided or is that an old wives tale?

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
See the thread below p0430 egr issues, you been took for a ride, I don't think there will be a problem on the new vans as vw have rectified it, expect a lot more people with this problem on the t5.1 2010 model

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I'll have a word with them when I go and pick up my new van later on this week and see what they can do for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had confirmation there will be no goodwill on my 2010 egr as it's just over 4 years old. I believe there is a mod you can do to remove the condensation from under the black cap on the egr valve. Mine was full of condensation and bad corrosion on electronics. Gave it a clean and it worked fine for 3 days. Any advice on the mod.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Just had confirmation there will be no goodwill on my 2010 egr as it's just over 4 years old. I believe there is a mod you can do to remove the condensation from under the black cap on the egr valve. Mine was full of condensation and bad corrosion on electronics. Gave it a clean and it worked fine for 3 days. Any advice on the mod.
just had confirmation? from whom? I suggest you get a bit tougher and tell them it is their problem, dont listen to some dog's body who does not want to hear! It is a design fault!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've seen threads about this before I have a 2010 5.1 so I thought I would give my local dealer a call and ask if there was a known fault and would they change it. They informed me that that would only change it under good will if the EGR actually failed and there was know known fault:*

·
Registered
53 Posts
my egr went 6 months after warranty end local vw dealer replaced with new, they said good will and all that i ended up paying £160 all in

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2010 went into limp mode last night after getting the kids from school. Called Ridgeway VW in Wantage and have it booked in for the morning. I have 18 days left on my wannanty. They admitted it's a known fault and should be covered. Here's hoping. Has the valve been amended since 2010. Seems to be specific to the 2010 model year.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just had my 2010 van done.
70% goodwill discount on the part from VW
£277 total bill.

New part is supposedly different from the old.
Also worth bearing in mind the 2 year warranty on VW parts if you get it done there, should be peace of mind for another 2 years if it breaks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes all replaced under warranty. They said they'd had loads of EGR valves being replaced at the same time mine was in.

And in fairness, great service and looked after impeccably. Thanks to Sophie at Ridgeway Wantage.

Also when calling round my local garage quoted me 311.00+VAT for the valve from TPS. Again they said they'd sold loads recently

·
Registered
199 Posts
picking my van up in the morning , after compliant to customer service got EGR down to £216.00 90% off part and 30% off labour
Annoyingly they found the drive shaft was failing as well when they test drove it , best they could give was 20% off parts and 30% off labour
Total bill , £669 + vat for both , better than the £1400 we started with although I'm convinced I got the discounts because I've got two vans on order
Van is 2010 140 , 17 months out of warranty

·
Registered
1 Posts
T5.1 early 2010 with only 27000 miles on the clock,limp mode back to Carrs VW in Cornwall repaied within a few days costing £313.00 having been given 70% discount on the parts used with a 2 year warranty on EGR parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts