VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just blocked my EGR valve off and cleaned all of the **** out of the inlet, never seen so much ****, been up the road and cannot belive the difference it has made A: the van seems a lot crisper than before and revs a lot more free. If you have not done this mod yet all I can say is get it done it took me around an hour and 40 mins of that was cleaning it out (oh and a coffee and some toast in the middle) :ILU:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah toast was well nice H:
I used a small screw driver to get the majority of the scum out then a toothbrush and some (well a whole can) of carb cleaner (brake and clutch cleaner).

Make sure to use someone elses tooth brush as it makes a right mess of it LOL:

·
Registered
416 Posts
I did mine but didn't clean the valve as I was under the impression it would self clean in time. I have noticed a power difference but there seems more vibration through gear stick and accelerator pedal (only small).

Is this normal does anyone know and will the gunk clear by itself. I'm thinking the slightly less smoother engine sound is due to the gunk being pulled through the engine now the valve is blanked? (it's 1.9td)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Doing the same with the inlet manifold (off the engine of course) makes a hell o a differnce...requires soaking and a through drying.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
iam doing my tdi conversion in a coulpe of months but going to do this to mine for the time being where can i get the blanking plates from cheers guys T:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi all. Sorry for being a little thick.... I have seen where my EGR is (I think) a it clearly reads EGR just to the left and down of the oil filler. Can someone explain exactly what you did as my 96 is a little slower at the moment. ALso do you have ot buy this blanking plate or is it something you do??? Sorry again for sounding daft!!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Brickwerks will sort you out.

If you do a search for EGR on the forums, you'll find plenty about it. There's also a guide in the tech section.

Some people rave about the mod, others notice no difference. But it's nice and cheap so worth a try! T:

·
Registered
338 Posts
.... Well its on and fantastic.

Engine purrs, response is crisper and better in the mid range. All that from an AJT standard.

Thats £69 well spent

HAppy days.

Gets the T: T: from me thats for sure

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi can anyone help me please .Thinking of blocking off myEGR valve on my 1.9TD ABL engine but i have no inter cooler fitter will this harm or make the engine over heat many thanks.:):)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Been planning to do this for the last 200 weekends!!I:
Is it likely that I'm going to need to replace the bigger square gasket at the base of the EGR? Iknow I'll need to get an extra gasket for the other side of the blanking plate but I'll cut one of those from gasket paper I think (is that OK?)
Thanks T:T:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Been planning to do this for the last 200 weekends!!I:
Is it likely that I'm going to need to replace the bigger square gasket at the base of the EGR? Iknow I'll need to get an extra gasket for the other side of the blanking plate but I'll cut one of those from gasket paper I think (is that OK?)
Thanks T:T:
When I did mine, I bought a spare set of all the gaskets. Considering how little they cost, I thought it was worthwhile as you never know what state the old gaskets are in until you strip everything down. You needn't worry then about accidentally tearing the old ones when you're removing them either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just about to do mine.

Are people putting 2 gaskets on, 1 either side of the blanking plate, or just one. If one which side of the blanking plate are you putting the gasket, manifold side or the egr side ?

·
Registered
462 Posts
What are the pro's and con's of just blanking and the powerpipe kit?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Just about to do mine.

Are people putting 2 gaskets on, 1 either side of the blanking plate, or just one. If one which side of the blanking plate are you putting the gasket, manifold side or the egr side ?
You need to put a gasket either side of the blanking plate. If you want you can re-use the one that's already there and just buy 1 more.

But to be honest, genuine gaskets are only a couple of quid each from a dealer so you might as well push the boat and out and use 2 new ones!T: Part number is V069 131 547 D

·
Registered
372 Posts
What's it for if your all getting rid of it. Sounds a bit like and apendix. Got a 1997 2.5tdi i take it i can do the same and gain a tiny bit more umph. due to massive weight reduction and what??? please explain or have i just not read the thread enough. Ta

1 - 20 of 24 Posts