VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is it ? additional electric waterpump ?
how and when does it work

ta

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its about the size of a small wiper motor, with 2 coolant pipes attached one in one out I presume and a 2 wire connector on the back. Fits below the rad on the front panel

it its an overrun pump how does it work

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you get this fixed and what was it that was changed? I've got the same problem with my Auxillary water pump running on continuously after parking up and have changed both temperature sensors and its till doing it :confused: Have checked what i think are all the fuses and they're also all OK so am pretty stumped. Anyone else got any ideas on this?

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Did you get this fixed and what was it that was changed? I've got the same problem with my Auxillary water pump running on continuously after parking up and have changed both temperature sensors and its till doing it :confused: Have checked what i think are all the fuses and they're also all OK so am pretty stumped. Anyone else got any ideas on this?
are you sure it runs "forever"? they do run till the engine has cooled enough.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, doesn't seem to be stopping. I parked up today and put my battery on charge so i could see if the pump would stop without compromising my battery and pump was still running after 1 hour. The refridgerant water was very cool by this point :confused: Surely it shouldn't be going this long

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
I've had the same trouble and in the end had to change the fan control module in the engine bay because it fills up with water. £115 ish from tps and about 15 mins under the van once the belly pan is off

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have had to give up on this one and simply unplug the auxillary water pump and do without. If anyone in the meantime knows how to sort this pump running constantly after the end of a journey and can put up a solution it'd be greatly appreciated? T:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thats an interesting idea but how does it turn itself off after you have left the van parked up after 30mins? Have you got a timer shut-off on it or something? Assume you had the same problem with your pump refusing to switch off and draining the battery overnight?

·
Registered
186 Posts
No timer switch I just remember to go and turn it off haha. Only use it when engine has had a long run and is nicely baked.
I had the issue of pump never coming on and planning trip to spain so needed it working.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Have had to give up on this one and simply unplug the auxillary water pump and do without. If anyone in the meantime knows how to sort this pump running constantly after the end of a journey and can put up a solution it'd be greatly appreciated? T:
New 4-pin sensor fixed mine, bought a genuine one was about £30. T:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah. Changed both the 2 pin and 4 pin temperature sensors too. Mine wasn't a genuine parts though and sourced both from EuroCarparts, but wouldn't have thought that would be the cause of the problem, but read on here that another guy changed his and made a point of it being from VW and not Eurocarparts / TPS / GSF. Next time i do a radiator flush i might be inclined to put the original temp sensors back in and see if that is the root cause of the problem?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
There are a few different ones, so you might not have the right one in. Don't assume that the one you took out was the right one either, unless the date marks on it tie in with the age of your vehicle. Mine was the original so I knew it was the right part number. Many people have had issues with pattern ones, which is why I put genuine in mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have hung on to the old one and can't be sure the problem didn't exist before i changed it as was fault finding something else at the time. Will definitely switch them back when i do my next fluid change and believe its the 2 pin sensor on mine that could be the culprit as it is only when i disconnect this that the auxillary pump switches off. Interesting what you say about pattern copies not working correctly as this would explain alot. Thanks for the suggestion and will post back if this sorts the issue, but could be sometime as i'm not anywhere near where my garage tools are stored for a while.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Have hung on to the old one and can't be sure the problem didn't exist before i changed it as was fault finding something else at the time. Will definitely switch them back when i do my next fluid change and believe its the 2 pin sensor on mine that could be the culprit as it is only when i disconnect this that the auxillary pump switches off. Interesting what you say about pattern copies not working correctly as this would explain alot. Thanks for the suggestion and will post back if this sorts the issue, but could be sometime as i'm not anywhere near where my garage tools are stored for a while.
Check the condition of the two wires to the two pin sensor to see if there is any copper exposed. If they short together, this will cause your pump to run continuously.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts