VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a T5 with no central locking buttons but it does have electric windows.

I have just bought a switch unit that has switches for the electric windows, central locking and electric mirrors L/R, heat and fold.

My intention is to fit T5.1 electric mirrors at some point in the future.

But for now, I can use the switches for the windows and it would be very nice to 'plumb in' the central locking switches.

Firstly, where can I get the wiring plugs that fit the various components of the switch unit?

Secondly, has anyone wired up central locking buttons on a van that previously did not have them?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...

·
Special Rapporteur
9,479 Posts
VW sell almost every part you would need, but you typically have to buy the terminals separately, pre-terminated on wire, known by VW as "repair wires".

If you're not already, you need to be aware that VW do not typically fit the wiring in the loom for options which are not factory-fitted, so you will have to install wiring yourself, through the door rubber gaiters. In the case of the central locking switches, I'm fairly sure they have to be run all the way back to the central locking module under the driver's seat (on a pre-facelift).

[BTW it would be a good idea to edit your first sentence - at the moment it does not make sense!]

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks triffic, I'll try and get the connectors from VW. I have corrected my nonsensical first sentence too.

I found this link on this forum which explains (at least some of) what I must do. I'm sure there will be problems and hurdles along the way...

·
Special Rapporteur
9,479 Posts
Rather than a dealer, I'd try to get to TPS in person - they seem to be a bit more willing to look at the parts diagrams for you than a typical dealer parts desk will want to. But check that your local one are Ok to sell to you as a non-account holder - some are not.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that, JMC10Y.

I just went to a VW main dealer in Droitwich and they were very helpful. They said they would provide plugs and repair wires but in the meantime I have bought the complete RH door wiring loom for a similar aged vehicle to mine.

It has the central locking plug and electric mirror plug on it, I will eventually need both.

I figured that I can either cherry pick the parts I need with the correct coloured wires or maybe use the whole loom and sell my existing loom.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry for bringing up an old post but I'm trying to add a "unlock" dash button to my 2010 t5.1 but have hit a bit of a brick wall :0(

I've linked up to pin #25 on the BCM "73a" and connected to a good earth. When I connect the two wires the T5 locks. I've then linked it up to a unlock switch which gives me a connection when I press the lock side and a "748"ohm resistance when I press the unlock side however, the van does not unlock??

I've tried 700/800/900 & 1k resistors instead of the button but the van still only locks?

Has anyone fitted a unlock button successfully?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts