VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of electrical queries on the forum , and many are simple to resolve . It seems a lot of folk dont even have basic stuff , to eliminate other underlying issues . May I suggest a simple kit to point the way ?? First , a very cheap meter to show continuity (not getting into amps, ohms , etc. at this time ) !! Then . a test bulb , 12v . ( it could be a 12vinspection lamp , or just a bulb on a couple of wires ) then , a couple of suitable lengths of wire with male/ female connectors .... A couple of croc. clips to fit the wires , and you can check soo much .. !! Its a very versatile bit of DIY meccano , and if you have a more complicated prob . it eliminates a lot of basic issues ... !

·
Registered
452 Posts
There are a lot of electrical queries on the forum, and many are simple to resolve.
They are only simple if you know how though? That's why the forum helps people with little or no experience in such issues. T:

Personally I think you only need a multimeter, but I have electrical/electronic experience; however, if you don't know how to use it then there's little point!

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
There are a lot of electrical queries on the forum , and many are simple to resolve . It seems a lot of folk dont even have basic stuff , to eliminate other underlying issues . May I suggest a simple kit to point the way ?? First , a very cheap meter to show continuity (not getting into amps, ohms , etc. at this time ) !! Then . a test bulb , 12v . ( it could be a 12vinspection lamp , or just a bulb on a couple of wires ) then , a couple of suitable lengths of wire with male/ female connectors .... A couple of croc. clips to fit the wires , and you can check soo much .. !! Its a very versatile bit of DIY meccano , and if you have a more complicated prob . it eliminates a lot of basic issues ... !
May I suggest inline fuses in the lengths of wire just incase someone shorts something out T:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok .... it aint perfect , but it does work ... apart nfrom what we probably have already got , all you need is CHEAP meter to show continuity when no current is there , and a bulb when there is ... !! Its only for basic diagnosis , to eliminate certain areas . Fuse ?? Up to you , I never had a problem with that ... !!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe its a bit too basic for those with more electric knowledge than amateurs like me , but simple stuff like this has served me well over the years , and when , or if , I get to a point when I no longer have a clue , at least I have eliminated a large percentage of possibilities ... !! I,m currently in that situation with an old Citroen , if any of you can offer advice ... !!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I got a job as a trainee auto electrician 25 years ago (only lasted 2 years as the money was s**t) but I will never ever ever be without my 12v test lamp!! A bulb attached to 2 pieces of wire... If you have a multi-meter, which I do, then fine but the little test lamp is the first thing I pick up the majority of the time..
And fusing yr bits of wire is a good idea too, like the chap said...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts