VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just got home from a long wait on the M25, i stalled my van in traffic to find it wouldn't start again then being stuck in the fast lane. The starter motor didn't even try and make a noise when trying to start so i first thought it was that.
Any got soon bloke to give me a bump start and i was on my way, about half hour driving later i notice my head lights are getting dim, then the abs warning light comes on, then another waring light (yellow triangle), then the air bag light, by this time I'm driving down a bust dual carriage way at night with no lights, i managed to get home.

anyone got any ideas as to what is wrong as the one warning light i didn't get up was the battery light.

will buy beers if someone has some knowledge as to what it could be.

Cheers guys:*

·
Registered
896 Posts
All the things you mention are the cause of the battery going flat.

Check battery voltage (this should confirm battery has gone flat)

Check alternator wiring and output

Also check earth lead from battery to body and to engine

·
Registered
896 Posts
cheers for that and will do tomo, you don't think it could be the alternator? even tho i didn't get and batt light up?
You need to make sure battery voltage is down first. If it is then why????
1) Is the alternator output ok???? (CHECK WITH A LOAD ON THE SYSTEM) i.e put all lights on
Heater,hazzards and anything that uses a decent amount of power. ( might have to pick revs up a little)
Check what meter says..... anything over 13.5 is good.....then check with no load, voltage should be same or slightly higher.
2) Check wiring from battery and main earth leads, also wiring around alternator.

Regarding battery dash light....... does it light up when ignition is turned on??? Could be faulty bulb

·
Special Rapporteur
10,525 Posts
by this time I'm driving down a bust dual carriage way at night with no lights, i managed to get home.
Here's another suggestion: If your van lights go out while driving at night, stop the vehicle in a safe place and get it recovered.

I don't want to be the one to pull out in front of you and get smashed to pieces because I can't see you coming, simply because you are choosing to drive at night with no lights. I don't care what the reason is - the result will be the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys found the fault, the earth lead that connects from the batt to the chassis then to the starter had corroded and broken off. Any idea why they make these outa steel cable rather than copper?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Cheers guys found the fault, the earth lead that connects from the batt to the chassis then to the starter had corroded and broken off. Any idea why they make these outa steel cable rather than copper?
It's cheaper!

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I doubt if the cables are steel - probably untinned copper that really should have some grease over the termination to protect it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts