VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone who knows there stuff let me know if this is possible. I have been mulling over how to set this up and as i rarely use any electricity when wild camping it would be nice to take the hard wired extras away from the engine battery. I know the way i should go is split charge but i don't want to. Only want charging when on hook up or at home.

Also need to know what size battery you guys recommend and what size inverter to run may be a hair dryer or charger or lap top?

Will this work?

Thanks

Chalks

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,144 Posts
Without split-charge, and using an inverter big enough for a hair dryer...I'd say get at least 2x110Ah batteries if you want more than a couple of days! (Running a std hairdryer will require something like 80 amps from your 12V via the inverter, and an inverter that size (800W should do it) will take 10A or so just on "stand-by" when charging your 'phone!

You'll also need a multi-stage charger (at least 20A) to charge your batteries back whilst at home...forget the trickle idea.

What's the problem with a split charge system?
Just contact Upspex and he'll tell you all you need.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scrap the hair dryer comment. Not required. I had a look and i'd beed about 1500 watts to power a proper one so she can stand in the sun!

I have used tricle chargers in the past for my motorbike and its kept the battery maintained well. I was thinking while on hook up at a camping site i could plug in and maintain a charge and then when using of site max 2 nights i could draw down.

So do i really need two large batteries? I am on a budget and want to keep this low. I was hoping to site the battery unter the drivers seat

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,144 Posts
Scrap the inverter, buy a 12V power supply for the laptop (eBay), and you should get away with a 110Ah under the seat (again, Upspex sells one that fits perfectly).
Use LED lighting with a regulator (lots of posts about this on here).

Trickle chargers will never keep a leisure battery fully charged though...they are a "maintenance" supply only. (Same actually applies to a split charge system, you'll still only get up to about 80% capacity.)

You do really need a "proper" charger for the system (and not a 15 quid Halfords jobby)....you know by now where I'll suggest you buy one I:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You on a back hander here? I:I:
Lights are in and currently running of starter as is the TV just wanted to stop the draw down. I have looked at the bits Ups is selling and the distribution/split charge looks good but it £150 is could do with out adding to the bill. I have seen a ring unit for charger for about 50 bucks and could peice the rest together my self. As for batterys I've jsut been reading that the 'leisure' and 'deep charge' titles are not needed and a second decent starter battery would be ok????

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Upspex is a well respected auto electrician on here and lots of people recommend him.

He sells a 20 amp power supply/charger for about £60, far better than the micky mouse ring stuff. A trickle charger is a waste of time.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
What I don't understand is why you want an inverter if you are always going to be on hook up?????:*

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,144 Posts
You on a back hander here? I:I:
As for batterys I've jsut been reading that the 'leisure' and 'deep charge' titles are not needed and a second decent starter battery would be ok????
I've tried starter batteries....they last about 1 year before failing. They're not designed for continous load, but to give a high output for a short time.
Flatten one 3 or 4 times, and you're looking at some serious long time charging, or a new battery.
A "proper" battery should last 3 or 4 years at least (I think the ones "he who I should not name" come with a 3 year warrenty.)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have 2 sets of double 3 pin plugs.

1 is for the camp site hook up and the other from the inverter/battery

is there a way of only using one set of sockets ?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Yes, you will need a double pole change over contactor. Cost about £30

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
see my plan was to wire the sockets to a 3 pin plug, then i could switch between the invertor and an extension to the hook up on camp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts