VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

I would like to add a leisure battery and panel at the back of the van with a 240v plug and at least one extra 12v cigarette lighter. I have a Kombi with the stock fibre-board liner, but I have the rear heater on one side so I'd like to get the panel on the other side.

Shoudl I have this done by a pro? If so, is there anyone in the bomo/Poole area that anyone can recommend? I know a bit about electrics, but tbh I'm more scared of breaking the van when doing any installation. Having only just got it, I'm a little aprehensive about doing any structural/cutting out and bending work :confused:

I am assuming the leisure battery goes under one of the seats? I have the three-seater front seats (2 in a bench and then mine) will this preclude me from being able to add swivel seat(s) at a later date or should I make a box or something to put it in?

I have seen a how-to add a split-charger and batter on the board, but as I say I'm not that confident I won't trash something..There also seems to be a choice of units to choose from..someone has posted a unit they make in a large black box with lots of switches and a screen on..this isn't a split-charger, is it? Do I need one of those instead?

Thanks in advance!

jake T:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Your leisure battery could be placed under the front seat. T:

I've a T4 Multivan and have my leisure battery under the front seat, VW use this area to put the leisure battery. Just make sure you measure the height of the leisure battery you intend to buy. Make sure it won't hit the underside of the seat or short out on any metal under the seat. Ideally you'd want to buy a battery with covers over the terminals too.

Have a word with member "Upspex", he's recommended for all things electrical here and he does some split-charger systems which you could fit yourself. T:

*<:)>

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
The box you are referring to is indeed a split charger. It is a complete 12 volt system just requiring a leisure battery.

Hello again,

I would like to add a leisure battery and panel at the back of the van with a 240v plug and at least one extra 12v cigarette lighter. I have a Kombi with the stock fibre-board liner, but I have the rear heater on one side so I'd like to get the panel on the other side.

Shoudl I have this done by a pro? If so, is there anyone in the bomo/Poole area that anyone can recommend? I know a bit about electrics, but tbh I'm more scared of breaking the van when doing any installation. Having only just got it, I'm a little aprehensive about doing any structural/cutting out and bending work :confused:

I am assuming the leisure battery goes under one of the seats? I have the three-seater front seats (2 in a bench and then mine) will this preclude me from being able to add swivel seat(s) at a later date or should I make a box or something to put it in?

I have seen a how-to add a split-charger and batter on the board, but as I say I'm not that confident I won't trash something..There also seems to be a choice of units to choose from..someone has posted a unit they make in a large black box with lots of switches and a screen on..this isn't a split-charger, is it? Do I need one of those instead?

Thanks in advance!

jake T:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts