VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

just in the early stages of my build. I intend to insulate/ply/carpet my van this weekend. It will end up a full conversion, but I want to keep as much of the eletricals in the cupboards as I can, including running cabling and such, just for ease of maintenance later on.

Is there any electricals I need to consider within the vans walls/behind the ply which may catch me out later on after fitting ply and furniture?

I am guessing the earth point to the rear of the van is going to be used? Anything else? Any tips at this stage is appreciated. It will end up with full split charge system, ceiling lights etc etc.

·
Registered
712 Posts
makes sense to consider evreything - leisure battery, rear speakers, sub, amp , lighting , sockets etc. pays to plan everything in advance, run the cables first and then you know its sorted. pain in the yaris to do it afterwards!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
T5 Clive is right, I thought I had it all planned, treble sets of jack leads, amp controller cable, split charge pack, etc, Run it all in prior to lining and insulating. But you don't want to run the mains cables alongside your AV s, as you can get annoying interference, so rip the passenger seat out first, pull up the mats, and install it all. I Got it all in then realised that there isn't really anywhere convenient to run the external hook up under the back of the van as planned, in my barn door version, so then I have had to run it to the battery after putting it all back. Then i spent nearly a whole weekend finding a long enough 20Amp flex to go that far, then another Sunday running this in after carpetting.
Sorry to go on, but I had planned it all and it still went wrong (savable). Plus, and don't take this the wrong way , but to do all you want in one weekend maybe a touch optimistic, unless you've got plenty of help, etc.(maybe I take too many breaks)

Work out where you want your rear speakers, TV?, sockets, battery and consumer unit , rear sensors/ camera , tow bar electrics and your lights. Run them all in with separation as noted above . That's just my opinion but it is much easier in a blank van than peeling up vinyl, etc

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too am in the early stages of conversion, but have gone for the option of seaperate panels everywhere, carpetting them, followed by the metalwork caprpetting. Its more time consuming but it gives the added feature of easy access whenever you want to add stuff/ find faults etc etc. I know once finished, i'll want more and more equipment so thought best to do it this way. My consumer kit 240v electrics and 12v sockets, led lighting all due in this week to do next part, so all very exciting. Ill try to upload a couple of pics, but as a first time post, not sure how to do it. My very first attempt at conversion too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too am in the early stages of conversion, but have gone for the option of seaperate panels everywhere, carpetting them, followed by the metalwork caprpetting. Its more time consuming but it gives the added feature of easy access whenever you want to add stuff/ find faults etc etc. I know once finished, i'll want more and more equipment so thought best to do it this way. My consumer kit 240v electrics and 12v sockets, led lighting all due in this week to do next part, so all very exciting. Ill try to upload a couple of pics, but as a first time post, not sure how to do it. My very first attempt at conversion too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts