VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member. Hi. Need electrical advice and ideas.

So if im not in the right place somebody please do direct me. Half way through my crafter conversion of an ex recovery van. Various electrics / wiring preinstalled which i have stripped back.
Had a power tool inverter (110v i think) running direct from the alternator. Disconnected the unit but left the large gauge wiring in.

Q What if anything could i utilise this for...i thought run a water heater/shower for a treat with engine running. Or inverter for high watt electrics blender etc. Seems like there is some utility in it. Any suggestions? Thanks. Paul

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,038 Posts
I would have said 5 mm is more like 10 mm CSA
hard to tell if the 5mm quoted was rounded up or rounded down :)
out of curiosity I just went and did a very unscientific measure with a tape rule …. 16mm I have looks pretty well spot on the 5mm. At the same time I measured some 35mm I got yesterday and that was just about 10mm.
maybe the cable the OP has is more likely 16mm at the max rather than a possible 25mm looking at those numbers.

Any terminals at the end? not always a foolproof method by any means but will help indicate the gauge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again. Hi upspex thanks for joining in. Im just at the start of the learning curve here and beginning my electrical install from a novice so good to hear from experience so i dont make fatal mistakes.

So i have a solar pre installed with a wire of unknown gauge. I want to 'fuse' it with a breaker before the controller for ease of cut off and safety. Having just read the above, is it reliable for me to measure the diameter of the conductive copper cross section in mm with a tape (ie not including the pvc) and use this to calcalculate/estimate the squared mm and hence the awg/csa?

Also if the above is a viable method do either of you have a link to a chart that i can reference mm to mm2 to awg/csa with confidence.

Thank you
Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts