VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I've just collected a T4 SWB EMC conversion High top camper.

I've got to say its one of the weirdest campers I have owned.

Although, the more I look at it the more sense it makes...

The kitchen is at the backm, the bed is in the middle, its got a built in oven and the sliding rock n roll bed uses the swivel front seats to make the bed.. it also has motor home style windows.. Its seems to be a bit back to front compared to many, but then it seems to make good use of the space.

Has anyone got one? Had one?

Any one got an instruction manual / handbook for this conversion?

Photos?

Thanks

Julian

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
I bought one... not direct, it was a bag of poo! i had to totally rebuild it! i believe he went bust a few years back...

the thing had been thrown together, things like... head lining ripped out used as insulation, behind cupboards that had been been trimmed with an angle grinder and diesel fumes leaking into the cab from a cooker the combustion are box had been hacked (Bit like not putting your boiler flue behind a kitchen cupboard!):*

hope you've been luckier!

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
they were based over in Yorkshire I went to there workshop back in 96 ,can you not google them and ask:*

·
Registered
117 Posts
They went down a few yeas ago, I went to them in 1998 and had my roof and windows put in, fortunately nothing more and they did a good job of that.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
TBH i believe he was someone trying too hard to make a living. The van I bought had all top notch stuff fitted (diesel hob and heater, PMS Control Panel, etc.). The woodwork was bespoke manufactured and all looked very good( on the outside!), just none of fitted correctly and had hacked away at various bits to make it fit! the cabling was a bit ropy too!

that van looks to be been done a while ago and perhaps was done before he started to mess things up!

I don't think you'll find an actual manual, you'll have to get your multimeter out and trace cables, etc. try google the fridge, cooker. etc. and post on here, most of the kit used was good quality and you'll find manuals out there.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It all seems ok. Nothing seems to be falling off any more than you would expect with a 18 year old camper...

Lots to clean and niggles to sort out... but seems to mostly work..

Just thought there may have been some sales information or owners hand book for their interior...

Maybe even some others with the same conversion?

I've had a play, and opened all the cupboards, but its often nice to read a handbook to see other little tricks the seat can do etc...

This one has a sliding seat in the middle that "rock n rolls" into a bed and the seat will face forward or back...

I can work the fridge! ;)

I find this site interesting... http://www.camperinterior.webfotos.co.uk/index.html but no info on mine...

:)

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the sales invoice from EMC (Euro Motor Camper Ltd) from 1995 for £6000 to convert it into a full Alpha Conversion ...

Someone somewhere must have the details of an "alpha conversion" and what the options were ? :*

Maybe? I:

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
I think mine was around the same time... the guy had some rally good ideas. I went through the same as you, trying to find an actual manual, it appears he made them to order and put was ever people wanted in them and he got his self into a mess trying too hard, I think i must have got one of the 'rush jobs'!

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
Definitely a rushed job! I bought with my heart and not my brain, NOTHING actually worked or was fitted correctly, but, all nicely hidden from sight! Once I started, there was no going back, you could see the various ways he'd tried fitting things, moved it because it was in way of something else and... so on, the end result being a total botch! All the parts used were good quality (Webasto, Shoreline, PMS, Durite, etc.) but, it hadden't been planned.

On the plus I enjoyed rebuilding it and learnt how not to do it in the process! Rebuilding the camper and fixing all the mistakes is what got me into tryingto make a business out of heating systems for campers, i've only recently finally admitted defeat!

Mine a T5 with a rear kitchen, two single made up with the fronts seats, I think it was a called a "Country", and a pop top and bed.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm still trying to work out the "correct" way of setting up the rock n roll bed and the front seats... any clues as to how it should be done? Or do I just carry on making it up as I go? I:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm still trying to work out the "correct" way of setting up the rock n roll bed and the front seats... any clues as to how it should be done? Or do I just carry on making it up as I go? I:
Hi Julian

I like the sound of using the front seats as part of the bed it must save a fair bit of room, do you have any pics of this and also the rest of the interior

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Can't help you but got any interior pics? I like the idea of a rear kitchen with some kind of L shape seating, think our next Van might have to be a bit different to the "standard" layout.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So here are a few quick pics with my phone.. sorry about the quality!

The Kitchen area at the rear..

The Bed down..

Table up between seats...

Seat facing the rear...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts