VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

hope you are all well

We have paid for our ferry and two week holiday in France when now it looks like we will not be able to travel due to a electrical fault with our VAN!!!! please if you do have any advise on a quick way to fix or ideas on who we can hire from I would be so grateful. We have three young children who are so much looking forward to it and after a very hard year for us all we deserve a break

I have had my Caravelle 2.5 TDI 51 plate for a couple of years now no real issues until driving back from my parents house with the kids we pulled into a garage and then smoke came from the fuse box.
We got it home with help from the RAC and then managed to get it to Westec Auto Electrician in Bristol
They started work and found the issue or so they thought there seemed to be a communication issue between the Dashboard and the immobiliser. They had to send the dash off to a third party company to have the issue cleared they did this but still couldnt get it started so they sent it back again they did this three times in all and had the car for approx 6 weeks!

Thought it was all sorted they where helpful on the costs was only approx £500 however now about a month after the fix the van stopped when on the way home from a camping trip The car was started and my wife reversed it then stopped engine turned but not starting.

RAC said fueling issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I managed on Friday to arrange for a specialst Auto Electrican to come and have a look on the Saturday and Sunday he was from Streetwise automotive in Bristol (Gary) Gary went through a number of checks on a very hot Saturday morning then came back to do further checks on the sunday. He found that again there was a communication error with the dash and immobilizer.

He suggested take it back to Westtec

My thoughts on this are if it took them six weeks last time how long will it take if it is the same issue they will have to send it off again to this third party company and the time it takes to get from A to B is hard to measure. I have considered asking if once they have taken it off that i deliver it myself so that I can speak with this other company to let them know how important this is to us. If we don't get on that ferry we cant afford to pay another 800 quid for the crossing!!!

I am at my wits end . Gary from Streetwise is going to send me his report tomorrow so this can then be given to westtec I also have to chase the RAC to get the van taken to them thats if they say they will even look at it!!!! and if we are going to try and hore it has to be done quickly to ensure any avalibility but what about the cost!!!!!!

I will post Garys report once i get it . Time is very short and if we have to try and find plan D (get another Vehicle) Then so be it we use a T4 as it has all the space we need and we can get our sons Buggy in the boot no issue . One of my sons has Downs Syndrome and the space in the Van makes it a easy safe comfortable environment. If anyone can think of a way to resolve this in time by hire or by fix i would be very very very grateful. As stated we are happy to hire if anyone knows any information please contact me .

·
Registered
204 Posts
Post up the report when you get it, as what your saying doesn't make a lot of sense, the dash on these doesn't have an immobiliser in it it's a separate unit next to the dash. If they have been sending the dash away for an immobiliser issue then then they are barking up the wrong tree.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you can get me ALL the numbers off the engine management ECU, I'll see if there is an immo off solution for you to get it going.
It will probably start with 0285 xxx xxx that will the most important number.
If it's doable will mean sending ECU to North Wales. Turn around in a couple of days.

Just seen previous post and I'll put money on it being sent to BBA Reman, they haven't got a clue !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have managed to be and borrow a Mazda Bongo :0)

I will still update you on this ongoing sagga blooming nitmare the Van was pick up today and dropped at Westec have asked for a update on what they intend to do

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
If you can get me ALL the numbers off the engine management ECU, I'll see if there is an immo off solution for you to get it going.
It will probably start with 0285 xxx xxx that will the most important number.
If it's doable will mean sending ECU to North Wales. Turn around in a couple of days.

Just seen previous post and I'll put money on it being sent to BBA Reman, they haven't got a clue !
Ive been dealing with BBA reman for years and have only had issues with one abs unit out of 100s of electronic units sent to them ,
But i have to say if it is them and they have been testing a T4 dash for imobiliser faults they need shooting .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts