VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm aware this has been covered in terms of what tv's people have bought, but with regards to the actual quality of the TVs, all I can find is reviews from official testing sites. I'm always hearing about them being bribed/coerced by bigger companies to drop some bad comments in their reviews, so I would like some personal reviews from people who actually own them.

Brands I'm hearing are Kogan, Avtex and LG, among others.

So far I've gathered that Kogan's are good for the money, however have bad sound quality and poor contrast, along with a tedious Freeview EPG. Avtex's are generally good from what I hear but their freeview tuners arent great at picking up all channels. LG's tend to be pretty good too but the price jumps up for the brand name on them

How good is the USB pause and record function on them?

I'm after a 19" or 22" (space being no issue for me) however please give me your review if yours is a little smaller as the basics tend to stay the same through the ranges. I want above average picture quality, sound needs to be reasonable, and a good EPG and USB record is high up on the list. And obviously it MUST be 12v.

There's already loads of threads with how and where people have mounted them, I'm just interested in the quality of the TV itself.

Please tell me what you've got (inc model number where possible), a list of pros & cons, and any details you think a potential buyer should know.

Thanks in advance. T:

(I know a lot of you say the tv stays at home and you go away to get away from all that, but I spend over half the year in my van, I need it at times!)

Reviews so far:

Sovos 15.6 flip down tv/dvd/sd/usb - bloomin marvelous. Even has a magnetic remote control so you can stick it to the sides of your van. On board audio is cack so i've used an input on my main sound install. Coupled with a parkmyauto magnetic roof aerial I get a great selection of digital tv channels.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm after a 12v tv too so I'll follow this thread for the advice - thanks for posting... Also, how quick do these 12v tv's flatten leisure batteries...?
Most run at about 40w (approx), 40w/12v=3.3a. If you've got a 100ah battery, you should (in theory) be able to get a good 30hrs out of it if you run nothing else. But it'll likely be a bit less than that. And who really needs 30hrs of tv when out in the wild and camping?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thanks for that Harry, I had no idea it would last that long. My battery is a 100 or 110A (can't recall just now), but your point about not wanting to watch is spot on - it's a last resort in case of torrential downpours etc ... plus if I take one of the brats I can let them watch 'X-factor talent on ice divers' while I get irresponsibly smashed and leer at all the single mums on the camp site I:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Sovos 15.6 flip down tv/dvd/sd/usb - bloomin marvelous. Even has a magnetic remote control so you can stick it to the sides of your van. On board audio is cack so i've used an input on my main sound install. Coupled with a parkmyauto magnetic roof aerial I get a great selection of digital tv channels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts