VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

was wondering if people could give me some advice, I've currently got a 1992 1.9 T4 witha camper conversion however I'm looking to pass this van onto my rents and get something more suitable as I spend most of the time carting heavy gear around

I'm in a band and usually travel with 4 grown men, and a full backline which is pretty heavy.

Would people say that sticking to a 1.9 is powerful enough or should I move to a 2.5?

Is there a huge difference in insurance/tax?

any help would be amazing

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have a 1.9td and to be honest they can be painfully slow , i use to own a 2.5tdi caravelle and i think the 2.5 engine would be far better for carrying loads .

both engines have good and bad points so its hard to say , but if it we're me i would go 2.5tdi and pray is doesn't break down

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are 2.5's alot more expensive to run then?
I've got used to a 1.9d with no turbo so moving to a 2.5tdi feels like it'd be a big change

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
ive had the 2.5tdi for over a year now with no problems shes done 105,000 and has only had the usuall belts changed ect, runs smooth and pulls well, tax is around 180 quid. the only reall difrence is its all run by ecu, so if there is a problem its not as easy to sort as the 1.9's.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Are 2.5's alot more expensive to run then?
I've got used to a 1.9d with no turbo so moving to a 2.5tdi feels like it'd be a big change
2.5's are not that much more to run that the 1.9's . if anything the 2.5 will achieve a better MPG figure due to it not being overworked like a 1.9 ..

one thing all goes wrong with a 2.5 you could be looking at hefty repair bill , cambelts replace around £500.00 , duel mass flywheel £600.00 +++ , plus youve got all the electronic side of things too ..

you say you've been driving a 1.9 non turbo camper around , well if you've gotten use to the performance of that I'm sure the 1.9td would be a great little engine for you , plus they are quite cheap and easy to work on

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all of these comments, the main reason for changing vans is that the 1.9 just cant handle distance with the weight I need to transport.

I'm not great on DIY van repairs to be honest, I think my garage have found me an inveritable gold mine recently. Especially when the side panel windows I had got stolen (another thread somewhere).

On a similar note, whats your views on the ex-AA 2.5tdi's? do they last with all the miles they've already done with the AA?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts