VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Started the van up for work this morning and had a loud noise at idle. On reving noise disappeared but re emerged once the revs slowed to around 900rpm and the noise started again. Looked under bonnet and on the passenger side of the engine there is a belt cover view from the front of the van. I can see a bearing with no belt around it and the belt under the cover is slack as f--k :(

Drove 4 miles to work like this is it safe too drive home? Or do I get the RAC out. Tthe bearing without belt around it is near the top of the engine passenger side visible without removingt he belt cover.Any idea what it drives????

After two other faults with starting/ glow plugs circuits after 18th months I am starting to find this T4 ownership a real pain at present :*

2.5 tdi 2001 vintage, EX AA

Cheers Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi mate if it the belt on the right hand side of the engine as you look under the bonnet it sounds like its the diesel pump belt it has two tensioners on it one could of collapsed if it snaps the engine will stop but wont damage the engine but can be a bugger to time up afterwards so its up to you :D

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the information so far. It is the diesel pump belt. I have removed the cover and there are two central rollers on the belt, a tension roller and idler roller. The belt has not come off as I originally thought, however it is very loose in the area of the tension link roller. Is it just a case of a DIY job to tension the tension roller against the belt with an allen key and bolt, or is it a garage job. Be good to know before I attempt it and f--k it up I:

Cheers again Bob

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If your not confidate then skip it and take it to the garage!

You get it wrong, runs like a bag of poo!!

Where are you located? I have a very good diesel pump rebuilder on hand, and he is ****e hot at sorting the timing out!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Thanks for the advice, gonna take a quick look later. Located Helston Cornwall. VW stealership just 500 yards down the road, or there is someone in St Agnes who is quite good apparently, but could be a bit risky driving that distance about 30-40miles with a slack belt. :( If I can't work it out then I suppose it will be the VW Garage and another big f:*g hole in my wallet :eek:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well had another look, decided as these are a nightmare to set up, it is going to the vw garage. I will update with the fix and repair costs when complete.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,

Went in VW dealership garage today, found fuel pump loose??? and belt loose. Replaced fuel pump belt. They also suggested they do the cambelt at the same time (it wasn't due for another 13k) but I agreed to get this done. Total for fuel pump belt and cambelt was £475 including labour and vat

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Koool. Glad you got it sorted.

How many hours labour was that then?

They had it at 0845 and I had to wait when I went to get it at 5pm as it wasn't quite ready. But how many hours actually worked no idea. 5 or 6 I suppose!!!

Labour £301.50 and parts kit £112 and vat = 62.03

A main dealer aswell, bit disappointed reading other threads they should of changed the waterpump also but I don't think they did unless it is part of the kit. :confused:

Anyhow van now on the road again A:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts