VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna change my Oil in my new "team white" 133k some service history and not sure whether to slip a bottle of engine flush in pre change.

As much as it cleans the gunk it can also dislodge to much and cause am issue!

Votes and suggestions please?

Yes

or

No

T:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
End of the day, it sounds like you're not too sure - and seeing s it's your van and you'll be the one who has to pay if it goes bump, I think you've answered your own question.

Me??

I'd do it, and I have done it - but then again, I use veggie oil, was more than happy to test out the 2 stroke 'additive', I upped the fuel and boost on my 1.9 without having any concrete evidence that it was going to be OK in the long term - in other words, I tend to just go for it and 'on my head be it' :)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Alternative, cheaper and apparently as good is to use ATF. (Auto transmission Fluid).

Run the van for 100 miles or so with half a litre in with the oil. Not 100% how effective or dangerous it is with diesels but certainly recommended on petrols.

Do a search on the Golf forums for "ATF trick"

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Your mileage is not overly high, but depends on the history - I have owned my van since 6months old and 8k on the clock - I have religiously changed the oil and filters, every third change I do an engine flush - I can actually feel the difference after it.

Down side tho if you don’t know the entire history of your van, if someone has run it for long time on the same oil it could have built up deposits which you need to be sure are all out. Still lots of people do it, but as has been said, the choice is yours :ILU:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will check service history and see how often it has been changed.

If regularly then a flush it is.

10/40 or 15/40 synthetic or mineral?

·
Registered
362 Posts
as said before i think ill agree, if its been done regularly then yes if not then di um and ahh over it personaly engine flush on my cars i probably would but , my local auto factor says not to do it on engines over 100k if you dont know the history. and the fuel flush can be a real pain, ive known people have to change injectors because the crud that was on them had worn in with the life of the injector once it was cleaned out the injector wouldnt seal properly,and persolaly i had trouble with the fuel flush where the crud cleaned out of the lines or tank made its way the the fuel stop solonoid and kept jamming it open so that i had to stall the thing to stop it, took months of regularly cleaning the valve until it had all gone
ever since then id go with the above that if they havnt been used regularly then these thing can be more trouble than there worth,
but for my cars i would use engine flush and coolant flush but definatly never fuel flush

1 - 7 of 7 Posts