VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i will be doing an oil change in my 1.9 tdi ( AXB) this weekend and wondered if using an oil flush before draining would be a good idea ? i used flush religiously on my Shogun but that was petrol . Opinions !!!

Barry

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I've only ever used a flush when there was a need to, with regular oil changes there should be no need for a flush and in some cases can (apparently) do more harm than good. We used to flush alot of the old Ford CVH engines as they used to gum up and engines with hydraulic tappets that wouldn't prime could sometimes be sorted with a lighter oil or a flush.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
HELL NO:eek:will cause untold trouble,just put some flushing oil in the van and drive for 500 miles then drop.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
This is only a personnal thing, I wouldn't use "flushing oil". From what I understand, it's designed to pick up all the crud, etc in your engine so when you drop it out all these bits come out with it. However, I'd prefer it that if there's crud stuck in the crevices around my engine it stayed there rather than getting picked up & pumped around it again before being dropped out. I know the oil filter should catch this crud, but I think it better to stay where it is, i.e. stuck !
If I were that concerned about it I would drop the sump, clean it out, refit it & put fresh oil in. You can't beat regular oil & filter changes in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
HELL NO:eek:will cause untold trouble,just put some flushing oil in the van and drive for 500 miles then drop.
DO NOT do this!! Flushing oil should not be used instead of oil and if driven with flushing oil in can cause major damage. It does not have the lubricating properties of the appropriate engine oil and is far too thin. Last time I used flush oil it was at idle for a short period approx 30 mins then drained.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I should have explained a bit better my idea of flushing oil is the cheapest you can get your hands on,that is still spec to the van then drive for 500 miles then replace oil and filter again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts