VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys just wondered if I can have some help. I have a T30 1.9 104. Fitted new cambelt kit and water pump about two to three weeks ago. Covered about 20 miles since and coolant level had drops a little but I'm guessing that was down to a small air block. Not had any issues with any over heating. So today joined the motorway and was cruising at 65mph, slow I know but I was testing something. Did about 20-25 miles at this speed and suddenly the coolant alarm started going and the light flashing, the needle on the gauge was up to the top, fuortunately I was in lane one so instantly pulled onto hard shoulder and stopped. Checked coolant and the reservoir was filled up to approx an inch from the cap, the pipes behind were a little wet. Sat there for a few minutes and re started and the gauge red 90. I could see there was a emergency access gate 100m further in so drove and parked in that for safety, the gauge did raise a little. So left to cool down whilst calling RAC. After about half hour I checked the reservoir again and the level was back down to the max line. Removed the oil cap and there was no milky substance, the oil was a bith thick but not milky. Tried starting again and the engine was lumpy and there was no warm air from the heaters. Switched it off until recovery arrive 40 mins after. He drove it onto his flat bed and said that the engine drove smooth with no lumpiness. He stated he didn't think the belt had jumped and that the reason it was lump when I started it was because the engine had got so hot and everything had expanded. Well finally home and drove it off the flat bed and I took it for a spin round the block and it reached 90 on temp gauge, coolant still sat at max line however I still have no heat, the lower radiator pipe is stone cold and the upper radiator piper is only luke warm.from the radiator the upper radiator piper seems to go into a metal Y BLOCK on the side of the engine, all pipes coming out the far side of this block are warm/hot. What is this metal block is this where the thermostat is? Coul it be my thermo stat not working which is causing the problem? Or could it be a fault with the new water pump I have fitted?
Also at no point have I heard the Fan kick in.
Here is my engine if anyone can indicate to the location of the thermostat I'd be greatful

Cheers guys, really hoping this is a simple fix as I really can't afford a big bill

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Sounds like from what you say that the water is not circulating around engine so my guess would be water pimp fault ! Which in any case I would get it back to the garage that carried out can belt change ! Could the RAC shreds no light on problem?

·
Registered
36 Posts
sounds like the thermostat is not opening, common fault. it will be located on the perifery of the block, where a large coolant pipe exits.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
sounds like the thermostat is not opening, common fault. it will be located on the perifery of the block, where a large coolant pipe exits.
Jammed thermostat wouldn't result in a cold heater. The heater would be the only method of cooling the engine so it would be very hot.

Sounds like a duff water pump to me.

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like from what you say that the water is not circulating around engine so my guess would be water pimp fault ! Which in any case I would get it back to the garage that carried out can belt change ! Could the RAC shreds no light on problem?
No RAC eidnt send on of their guys out becuase I said that the coolant alarm went off. They said they wouldn't attempt to fix road side and therefore just contracted another company to pick me up.

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would that be the large pipe coming from the top of the radiator to the block?

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jammed thermostat wouldn't result in a cold heater. The heater would be the only method of cooling the engine so it would be very hot.

Sounds like a duff water pump to me.
All the pipes that seem to be coolant related that go through the bulk head all get hot. The rest don't

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Garage can't get me in until week Wednesday. Should I replace the stat in the mean time? Am I right in thinking that if I remove the stat and put it in boiling water I should see it open up? My only concern then is if the pump isn't moving the fluid round the engine am I likely to cause more damage whilst bleeding

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pipe coming from the stat looks to be the lower radiator pipe and is the one that's stone cold

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sound like a faulty pump,take small pipe off at header tank.rev engine and see if water is circulating.very easy to check.
Stat will stick open to prevent overheating

·
Registered
36 Posts
yeah check the pump also. i had a thermostat stick closed on a golf and caused very similar overheating problems, but never checked the heater.

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well just checked the stat and that appears to be working ok so looks like I was supplied a faulty pump by ECP.

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It wasn't done by a garage, my neighbour who works for a garage he and I did it together

1 - 15 of 15 Posts