VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My T4 2.4D AAB van got some serious overheating in a steep hill, the engine shut off and black smoke showed up from the exhaust and steam from the cooling system.

After it cooled down and I filled it up with water it runs normal again, but it is heating faster than normal.
The problems I found so far is the radiator fan control module had died, and the fans did not run. Connected the fan with fused jumpercable direct to the battery, but the temperature is still incresing to fast, and the air from the heater is too hot. Then I found the electric water pump did not run, but it is not broken. Hooked it to the battery as well with a fuse.. Toke a test run, now, the temperature is better, but rise a little too fast I think. Where is the sensor that controll the water pump located? Is it the one in the water hoze from the engine next to the glow plugs?
I hope this fix my problem. The temperature gauge inside my van has always showed the normal temp.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Youre better off asking in the T4 section - this is the T5 section - Im not familiar with your engine, but my guess would be water pump or blocked radiator.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
It's the lower 4-pin sender located on the head by the glow plugs on the offside. If you are bothering to do this, then I would suggest replacing the sender manifold / holder as they are prone to distorting due to the heat that they are subjected to. Buy new o-rings for both senders and the manifold and also the later plastic clips to replace the original metal ones.
Genuine manifold, clips & o-rings will cost around £20, genuine sender is around £30.

I replaced both my senders a while ago and wish that I had replaced the manifold at the same time, as I have had to revisit that area recently to replace it. The manifold was distorted massively and cracked in 2 places, it shouldn't really have been holding any water but somehow was holding up.

I have overhauled the whole cooling system on mine, new rad, fan switch, 2 x temp. senders, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, lower rad hose. The electric pump is to reduce hot spots developing in the block, which can in turn cause head-gasket failure amongst other issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts