VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my van 96 Multivan 2.5TDI ACV has been in the garage (i live abroad) for 3/4 weeks and they still don't know what the problem could be. It suddenly started making a loud tractor noise under acceleration or just revving the engine, also loss of power especially when accelerating. The loss of power has been intermittent over the last 3 months with no other symptoms. I checked and cleaned the egr valve, connected everything back up and the next day it made this noise, smoky and loss of power.

So far the garage has checked the injectors and sent them away to be checked, all came back OK, this was their first diagnosis. Next was the injector pump, all ok. Then a compression test, all OK. Now they think the timing could be off, so they are replacing the belt etc.

Does anyone have an idea of what this could be, I really need my van back before they replace every engine part on it!

(The noise is pretty similar to when you blow a hole in the front exhaust system, but it's not that)

Would really appreciate any ideas or help.

Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check all your vacuum lines and the intake tube on the turbo.

I did check the turbo inlet, it had a very small amount of play, but everything seemed OK. When it make the noise, I can almost feel it on the top of the inlet manifold, turbo seems fine.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
So my van 96 Multivan 2.5TDI ACV has been in the garage (i live abroad) for 3/4 weeks and they still don't know what the problem could be. It suddenly started making a loud tractor noise under acceleration or just revving the engine, also loss of power especially when accelerating. The loss of power has been intermittent over the last 3 months with no other symptoms. I checked and cleaned the egr valve, connected everything back up and the next day it made this noise, smoky and loss of power.

So far the garage has checked the injectors and sent them away to be checked, all came back OK, this was their first diagnosis. Next was the injector pump, all ok. Then a compression test, all OK. Now they think the timing could be off, so they are replacing the belt etc.

Does anyone have an idea of what this could be, I really need my van back before they replace every engine part on it!

(The noise is pretty similar to when you blow a hole in the front exhaust system, but it's not that)

Would really appreciate any ideas or help.

Thanks
Jay
Not being funny Jay, is it just a garage or a garage who know about these vehicles?

The situation is messing and guessing, can often give you even more problems :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check all your vacuum lines and the intake tube on the turbo.
Not being funny Jay, is it just a garage or a garage who know about these vehicles?

The situation is messing and guessing, can often give you even more problems :eek:
Hi, it's just a garage, it was recommended by another couple of English people living around here, the problem is living over in France I haven't got too much choice, not really near any big towns etc. I have a perfect mechanic to use in the UK, but it's 12hrs away! :*

That's what I'm worried about, they were so sure it was injectors, now they haven't got a clue and i'm thinking the timing belt isn't the issue, it's a real bummer as she's usually such a good van, and I need it back asap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts