VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. 2003 2.5TDI Caravelle - My large engine noise and lound bang turned out to be a rusty engine mounting bolt that sheared and dropped the engine ouch. £150 later for a recovery, hire car and new bolts fitted all as good as new.

However, the large pulley is very ratly, the belt squeaks terribly and there is a lot of lash in the belt. So I think it is time for a new pulley.

Can anyone tell me where to get one and what I should expect to pay please? GSF or should I go for a pucker VW one?

Thanks, Ade.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
forgot to mention they don't supply the four bolts for the pulley you'll need to get them from vw but they're only pennies

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Is this a tuff job to do? (replace the Pulley) Does any on have a part number?

Daft Question, Which pulley are people talking about? the Vibration pulley / Crankshaft pulley (are these the same?) been reading about a few pully's

Also are the tensioning rollers ever known to be a source of noise?
I was talking about the crank / vibration pulley, not sure about anyone elseI:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was talking about the crank / vibration pulley, not sure about anyone elseI:
Cool thanks I thought they may have been the same thing called differently.. Just needed to check.

Is it an easy job?

My take is that, as its nothing to do with the timing belt, if various other pully's tensioners etc move during the swap its not going to mess with the timing.. ( This also sounds like the ideal time A/C compressor at the same time ..)

Any special tools needed? Is it one for the ramps ? or can it be done on stands?

Cheers in advance

Bert

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please ramble away!! It is interesting that so many people on here seems to have a similar issue - must be a weakness of the 2.5TDI? I am talking (I think) about the chunky pulley behind the front pulley - the one with the ribs on it for the belt.

My situation is that it makes a nocking/rattling noise under the front right. Also the belt squeaks like crazy. I have had a new belt fitted and had the vehicle serviced. However, the problem remains. The rattle goes if you rev above idle, and the squeak goes with some talc on the belts (watch to keep appendages clear when you squirt it on!)

You can also see a lot of "lash" in the belt as it runs too which implies something is out of true.

I intend to get a mate at a garage to put a new pulley on for me which will hopefully cure all these issues. He has access to ramps etc - I believe from my research on here that the biggest issue is removing the center bolt from the pulley. I have seen lots of pictures of large breaker bars and crazy looking locking tools to brace the pulley so I am hoping that an airgun will just do it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got another problem now lol.

There is a bolt missing from an engine mounting. I dont think its critical for holding the engine in place as this seems to be done by large dampers but this seems to absorb the twist when the vehicle moves, hence recent knocking noises!

Trouble is, VW need 3 days to get this in stock and even then it might not be right :eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi just ordered crankshaft pully today for 2.5tdi from gsf 113.40 includes washer and pulley bolts have same problem as you sounds like bag of nails vw wanted 175.00 for same bits peteT:

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
when i checked prices for mine with vw, i also did the water pump they wanted £140 + vat, exchange with a £50 surcharge just for the water pump alone, madness!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi just ordered crankshaft pully today for 2.5tdi from gsf 113.40 includes washer and pulley bolts have same problem as you sounds like bag of nails vw wanted 175.00 for same bits peteT:
Hi Lal. Any chance you could pop the part nos from GSF on here if they are on the receipt?

I only ask as Banbury GSF want 130 for the pulley alone and say they dont do the bolt :confused::*

Hope you can help!

Ade.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just bought this from GSF tonight:

GSF Part No Part No qty Description
023VG0050 02306 4 Cam Belt Pulley Bolt
023VG0040 02305 1 Cranksh Pulley Washer
023VG0030 02304 1 Cranksh Pulley Bolt
023VG0020 02303 1 Cranksh Pull-FR+Damp

Paid 124.80 inc the VAT, but Lal just pointed out ebay item 300508031426 which is the complete kit of above at a bargain 113 including delivery.

Hope this helps someone else in future.

PS - Why the hell is the extremely thin washer nine pounds and twenty five pence :eek: :eek: :eek: is it really made of unicorn horn?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi superhands mine was fitted today same parts as you have got and much quieter just the dual mass clutch rattle now but i have had that for the last three years so i will wait till it gives up the ghost.My old crankshaft pully was split all the way round on rear i think the cold weather finished it of.Good luck fitting yours pete

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.