·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi vw forum

T5 2.0 tdi
105bhp
133,000 miles

My Van broke down, last week on the m25- doing 70 mph and the power cut out and I rolled to the hard shoulder with the glow light flashing.
AA could not start van, so it was towed to my house. The normal garage i use(last 20 years) was busy and i have moved further away so got a local garage to tow it from my house to fix, thinking it was electrical or something small.

Get phone call to say that the engine was not starting and locking up when turning over, they checked the valve timing-timing was out. They had found a bolt had come out of the water pump and was laying around the crank pulley area. They replaced the cam belt kit and set up the timing, in the hope there was no damage to the engine, unlucky me the engine now needs replacing!

My last service was 3 months ago and as the van had done 130000 miles i had the cam belt kit replaced and water pump. This was done by my usual garage. So basically I have been told they have not done the pump bolt up properly, causing damage to the engine!

Obviously I'm fuming but want to know my rights and what's the best solution.

If anyone has any advice where to start, it would be much appreciated?

Has this happened to anyone?

cheers

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also Iv owned the van since 17,000 miles 18months old

And have had it serviced on schedule.

It had an egr valve replaced at 2 an half years old under warranty

no problems, except a sensor in 6 years

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Have you spoken to your regular garage?
If not go see the guy/woman :*
I know i would find it hard to keep calm but a calm chat with them might yield a result you never know :*
Good luck bud T:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Something similar happened to me.

Ideally you should of taken the van directly to the garage that did the water pump change, but that's water under the bridge (so to speak!)

I got a report from the garage I subsequently used, which I backed up with the original service invoice and mileage readings, and phoned the owner of the garage I originally used.

They were very reasonable (as was I) and we came to an agreement on compensation.

I think it's worth a try.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something similar happened to me.

Ideally you should of taken the van directly to the garage that did the water pump change, but that's water under the bridge (so to speak!)

I got a report from the garage I subsequently used, which I backed up with the original service invoice and mileage readings, and phoned the owner of the garage I originally used.

They were very reasonable (as was I) and we came to an agreement on compensation.

I think it's worth a try.

Good luck.
I live 30 minutes (i moved but still use them) from the garage I that originally fitted the cam belt kit, when i broke down it was 3am with my 9year old son, so I got it towed to my house. Monday morning and the garage was busy so I thought it be easier to tow the van to a local garage(thinking it was electrical or something small).

The aa guy original said it looks like maybe cam belt, but i said no way iv only just had it changed!

I wonder if I had taken it to my usual garage if i would of got the same explanation?

Gonna ring trading standards first and see what they say, then give he garage a ring. All the while im with out a van!

Cheers, let you guys know

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
If you're an AA member you can get them to do an engineers report which gives clout to your claim.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Do you have legal cover with your house or car insurance? My house insurance provides cover for consumer disputes, I'd check that out because the proximity of the failure to them having done the work must give you the makings of a case.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You say the engine is ruined?

Has anyone had the lid off to check for damage?

I had a cam belt go on me not long after I bought my T4 at about 100K

We had the top off the engine and replaced the head, cam etc.

That was 113K ago and touch wood the van is still going strong.

Knowing what I know now I would probably not have replaced the head. Very often on the 5 cylinder the cam is damaged and the lifters pop. You might find that just replacing the cam and hydralic lifters will be enough.

Obviously its your call but I would not call the scrap merchant just yet.

Rhys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You say the engine is ruined?

Has anyone had the lid off to check for damage?

I had a cam belt go on me not long after I bought my T4 at about 100K

We had the top off the engine and replaced the head, cam etc.

That was 113K ago and touch wood the van is still going strong.

Knowing what I know now I would probably not have replaced the head. Very often on the 5 cylinder the cam is damaged and the lifters pop. You might find that just replacing the cam and hydralic lifters will be enough.

Obviously its your call but I would not call the scrap merchant just yet.

Rhys
No, after receiving a call saying your engine is damaged, i was flapping a bit. Called garage today and they are taking cylinder head off next week-fingers crossed not too much damage!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I should have added that I had this garage telling me how it was the end of the world, I should change the engine gearbox and rear number plate at a cost that sounded like my phone number.

Of course in your case it's for the first garage to sort - so, you really need a brand new VW engine, gearbox, a set of tyres, ohh and a rear number plate!!

Rhys

·
Registered
159 Posts
Because you have only had the belt changed within 12 months then you do have the law on your side , the garage has to repair the damage . It would have been better though if you could have taken it directly to them , but that is not always convenient As for damage it will depend how much the timing has jumped .
My 1.9pd had a similar problem , fully serviced and last one was a Bosch Service Centre cam belt kit change . Unfortunately they didn't tighten one of the guide pulley nuts properly and it basically caused the stud to snap and drop into the crank pulley , serious damage would be putting it mildly . Doing the job myself was nearly £800 for parts alone , although on hindsight I should have just changed the head and not paid to have it repaired. I was unlucky in that they wouldn't warranty anything as it was more than 12 months , should've just changed it myself when I got it but hey ho , you learn by your mistakes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts