VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm getting tired of my 1.9 non turbo which still has the oil pressure problem. So I've decided to swap the engine for a 2.4 it's the same code as mine. They are both aab engines.
Do I need to replace the gear box as well. And also the clutch.
I've searched all over and can't find a thread on this.
Please help

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Hi. I'm getting tired of my 1.9 non turbo which still has the oil pressure problem. So I've decided to swap the engine for a 2.4 it's the same code as mine. They are both aab engines.
Do I need to replace the gear box as well. And also the clutch.
I've searched all over and can't find a thread on this.
Please help

AAB is 2.4 T:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Hi. You would need the engine mounts. Power steering pipes / clutch./alternator/ exhaust down pipe/ plus you will have to alter the loom to fit

Good luck

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hi. You would need the engine mounts. Power steering pipes / clutch./alternator/ exhaust down pipe/ plus you will have to alter the loom to fit

Good luck
Better off with he complete engine & gearbox (2.4's have higher final-drive ratios compared to 1.9d) and all waterpupes, pas pipes & pump (sorta combined with the engine mount) and the driveshaft support bracket.
Also the 1.9's fuel pipes from filter to engine are longer than those on 2.4's but should fit without any issues, as to loom on & wiring connections, they are basically identical so easily adapted T:

Personally I'd avoid the 2.4 as it's a heavy plodder, unless you can get the parts cheap or free I'd suggest you either repair the 1.9 or convert to tdi from a mk3 golf tdi or B4 Passat tdi as this is a far better upgrade with much more torque & better economyA:

Rich. ('95 t4 ex 1.9d /1x code (60hp) now 1.9tdi /1Z code (90hp)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Better off with he complete engine & gearbox (2.4's have higher final-drive ratios compared to 1.9d) and all waterpupes, pas pipes & pump (sorta combined with the engine mount) and the driveshaft support bracket.
Also the 1.9's fuel pipes from filter to engine are longer than those on 2.4's but should fit without any issues, as to loom on & wiring connections, they are basically identical so easily adapted T:

Personally I'd avoid the 2.4 as it's a heavy plodder, unless you can get the parts cheap or free I'd suggest you either repair the 1.9 or convert to tdi from a mk3 golf tdi or B4 Passat tdi as this is a far better upgrade with much more torque & better economyA:

Rich. ('95 t4 ex 1.9d /1x code (60hp) now 1.9tdi /1Z code (90hp)
Hi thanks for the reply.
How easy is it to change to mk3 golf tdi. Would it need all the other things changing as well. Or is it just a straight swap.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Hi. 1.9tdi. Not a straight foward swap but worthwile. You will need a mk3 golf tdi complete doner car for engine. Wireing loom . Ecu
Then you need to make engine mount fit. Redrill dipstick hole. Need a 2.5. Throttle pdeal. 1.9td sump and oil pick up pipe
Then you have to work out the wireing loom not easy if you dont know about electrics. But there are people on here that can do it for you
Read the 1.9 tdi thread. Loads of info there. Then agian you could always turbo the 2.4. My turbo 2.4 goes very well

Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi. 1.9tdi. Not a straight foward swap but worthwile. You will need a mk3 golf tdi complete doner car for engine. Wireing loom . Ecu
Then you need to make engine mount fit. Redrill dipstick hole. Need a 2.5. Throttle pdeal. 1.9td sump and oil pick up pipe
Then you have to work out the wireing loom not easy if you dont know about electrics. But there are people on here that can do it for you
Read the 1.9 tdi thread. Loads of info there. Then agian you could always turbo the 2.4. My turbo 2.4 goes very well

Good luck
Thank you for the help..
This is my situation at the moment.
I've got a 1.9d with oil pressure problems.
So I can change to a 2.4d and replace the gearbox as well costing up £1000
Or put a golf mk3 engine in there and try and find someone to do the wiring loom.
Or try and fix the engine I've got already.
Which one would you pick

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Hi. I would go with the 1.9 tdi from a golf. If you can find one. I had one availabe to me about a month. He might still have it I will have to check

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts