VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Tray under the engine on a T4 necessary? I've just bought a van without one but it is in the back of the van.
Are they of any use???

·
Registered
205 Posts
Think how they protect all the pulleys etc down there! It all looks very exposed and vulnerable to me when you remove the pan for servicing.
So I would put it back on!!!
Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
286 Posts
They help with engine noise can also stop sump being damaged over rough ground
Mine did not come with one. bought one cheap. pain to get on,off but would not be without it now
Try van run with then without see the difference

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks for the replies.
What size bolts hold the tray on as I suspect whoever took it off didnt replace them??

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
what do you hold them on with?
a plastic one on ebay comes with 9 bolts, 4 nuts, 2 threaded plugs & 19 clips
do you use all those?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
100% YES ......................... end of story T:
Why? Mines been in the garden for the last 4 years, I took it off after the 'my under tray sound deadening filled up with oil and caught fire and my kid and I had to stand on the hard shoulder and watch our van burn to the ground' thread.

I was going to clean it somehow and put it back on, but it's really heavy!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Why? Mines been in the garden for the last 4 years, I took it off after the 'my under tray sound deadening filled up with oil and caught fire and my kid and I had to stand on the hard shoulder and watch our van burn to the ground' thread.

I was going to clean it somehow and put it back on, but it's really heavy!
We all have different experiences in here is one of mine http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=775058 ............ and not a drop of oil in sight ;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Without my under tray, in the wet it sprays water up around all the belts, usually causing them to squeal like a stabbed pig.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts