VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question

Does anyone know if you can take down AND remove the engine undertray without jacking the van up?

Ive done it loads of time when jacked up but havent got my trolley jack so I was wondering if theres enough room to be able to get it out from under while grounded?

Cant be bothered to go out in cold, wind and rain to remove all bolts just too find I cant drag it out lol

Cheers again

·
Registered
648 Posts
If it's not lowered, then yes (mine does - admittedly with the original early front bumper, which doesn't drop down very far at the front). You have to wiggle the back a bit to get it out of the slots, but it's certainly possible.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
can you get to what you need to by just lowering it down on the rubbers?? IMHO those metal hooks on the rear are a PITA and i cut them off with a grinder, it makes removing and fitting it on the ground far easier T:T:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i may have a water leak so ideally i need too get it off so i can put some cardboard on ground to see if its leaking.

I wanted to take the belly pan off without jacking it up too check.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
always done mine on ramps ,easy,n safer than a jack.i cant remove mine flat on the floor:(

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
It's always worth getting a few blocks of 3" x 9" timber somewhere between 18" and 2' long, to drive the van up onto, so that you can raise the van just enough for jobs like this or to squeeze under safely.
On my lowered van with side steps, this was enough to get under mine and fit my heater more comfortably.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's always worth getting a few blocks of 3" x 9" timber somewhere between 18" and 2' long, to drive the van up onto, so that you can raise the van just enough for jobs like this or to squeeze under safely.
On my lowered van with side steps, this was enough to get under mine and fit my heater more comfortably.
great idea T:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts